PDA

View Full Version : Flooring source for pine flooring

Pat Barry
02-02-2014, 5:06 PM
I just started looking at possible sources for wood flooring. I would really like Pine since this is for our cabin in the woods. I'd like to finish it myself with a clear finish. I'd like it to be 3/4" thickness, tongue and groove. I plan to install a vapor barrier under it since the space below is a crawl space. Has anyone here had experiences with getting materials like this from Lumber Liquidators? Anything in particular to watch out for? What other sources would you recommend I look into?

Also, Southern Yellow Pine? Being from the North, what is the difference between the Southern Yellow Pine and the typical Northern White Pine that would be the traditional material used in a "Northwood's" cabin? Would the Southern Yellow Pine look out of place?

Alan Bienlein
02-02-2014, 8:07 PM
I got this tongue and groove 3/4" thick by 10" by 8' long southern yellow pine flooring from a local sawmill.
Here it is with the stain in the first picture that the wife picked and the first coat of dewaxed shellac to pop the grain in the second picture.

Pat Barry
02-02-2014, 8:16 PM
Nice look Alan. I typically don't see that material up here in Minnesota but Lumber Liquidators has it advertised. I will take a look at it.

Dave Richards
02-02-2014, 8:17 PM
You might check out Traditional Woodworks (http://twlumber.com/index.html) in Somerset, WI. He might have some nice stuff for you. Better than you'll get at L.L. I've purchased lumber from him before. In fact I got wood from him for the sailboat I built. Nice folks to deal with.

Pat Barry
02-02-2014, 8:25 PM
You might check out Traditional Woodworks (http://twlumber.com/index.html) in Somerset, WI. He might have some nice stuff for you. Better than you'll get at L.L. I've purchased lumber from him before. In fact I got wood from him for the sailboat I built. Nice folks to deal with.
Thanks Dave, They are close enough for a quick drive over. I'll check them out.

Dave Richards
02-02-2014, 8:28 PM
I figured they would be. How's the Stillwater bridge?

Pat Barry
02-02-2014, 8:30 PM
I haven't been over to Stillwater since early fall and I didn't see the bridge. I think its still operating

Dave Richards
02-02-2014, 8:33 PM
That's good. Hopefully they'll keep the lift bridge going until the new bridge is finished.