PDA

View Full Version : Just an unwelcome visitor

byron constantine
02-02-2014, 4:52 PM
I was out in front of my shop just enjoying the unusual warm day 76 deg and low an behold
this un welcome guest arrived. Needless to say i was shocked and almost fell of my stool.
4 plus ft diamond back rattler with 12 buttons on his rattler. I haven't seen a rattler in 15yrs
and all of a sudden he showes up. You never know what will show up in Texas. I promtly cut
his head off before he had a chance at me. Byron

Robert Delhommer Sr
02-02-2014, 4:54 PM
Smart move.

charlie knighton
02-02-2014, 4:55 PM
glad he was not in woodpile, i am usually pretty careful pulling tarp off, bang some logs and sort of knock some logs off before grabbing any wood with my hands

Dick Mahany
02-02-2014, 5:13 PM
Looks like it's time to make a few cast snake skin pens!

John Keeton
02-02-2014, 6:04 PM
Snakes aren't known to be loners - I would be cautious for a few weeks!

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2014, 6:40 PM
Looks like you are going to eat good tonight!

Glad you didn't have any problem with the snake!

Brian Brown
02-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Maybe he was just coming by for advice on how to use his new skew. ;) What a reception! Remind me never to visit your shop. :eek::D I might lose my head! :eek:

Steve Rozmiarek
02-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Ugh, I hate those things. Glad you took care of that one.

Bob Bergstrom
02-02-2014, 11:24 PM
A high school friend of one of our club members died when he reached into his wood pile and was bitten by a Recluse sider. It was dark and he didn't realize what bit him. He got to the hospital too late.

C Scott McDonald
02-03-2014, 8:45 PM
holy smokes! I have mice in the shop and worry something like that is going to follow them in one day. I always look before grabbing something because of the Black Widow invasion I had last summer anyway.

Phil Thien
02-03-2014, 9:03 PM
Snakes aren't known to be loners - I would be cautious for a few weeks!

I don't know much about snakes, but that was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Mike Langford
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM
hey Byron.......can I have his rattler????

Bill Cunningham
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Forget the snake!!! 76 degrees!!!! you guys in Texas are spoiled.. I just seen a HUGE snowblower go down my street moving back the 6 foot snow pile ridge on the side of the road to make room for more coming tonight..
I'd love to see a 4 foot snake.. Preferably eating a groundhog!

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Don't worry Bill...the 76 was just a tease. We have a chance of snow by Thursday.
Byron, keep that thing up in northern Tarrant County. I want nothing to do with his cousins!!! Any picture I took of one would be after the head was relocated!!! Jim.

Ty Williams
02-04-2014, 11:59 PM
I was surprised to open my shop (in central Ohio!) this summer and find a timber rattler on the floor. I can say that I'm pretty tolerant of animals that can hurt me when I'm the one out in their homes but when I found something that could kill me in my work area, well, that wasn't OK.

Jeff Erbele
02-05-2014, 2:54 AM
Looks like enough rattler for a belt and a pot of stew :)
But come to think of it, (-) 12*F here tonight is not so bad after all.

My brother-in-law in western North Dakota hunts them for the skin to make belts.
Cow hide or vinyl works just fine for my pants.:D

Charles McKinley
02-06-2014, 1:40 AM
In Pennsylvania you would need a permit to legally remove its head.

therefore: the 3S rule is applied. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up!

Joe Tilson
02-06-2014, 8:38 AM
Scott,
Get some peppermint oil and a few cotton balls, then put the cotton in say a empty tuna can. Put a few drop of the peppermint oil on the cotton and put three or four of these setups around your shop inside the cabinets. The mice and ants will not go near this stuff, after a period of time. Haven't seen as many spiders either, although there are no guarantees they won't be around. We have mice, black widows, and brown recluse around here as well as some other nasty bugs. I found a brown recluse on the inside of one of my cloth military style belts, while hanging in the closet. Not fun! I assumed it came from the shop.

Rick Potter
02-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Is it May already? That's when they show up around here. Watch for that second one 24 hours later ;).

That 24 hour bit actually happened to me with Tarantulas :eek: .

Rick Potter