PDA

View Full Version : Used Powermatic on eBay worth it?

Jared Yost
02-02-2014, 4:28 PM
I have a Craftsman contractor saw that just really doesn't do what I need it to and I've been thinking of an entry level cabinet saw. I think I had finally decided on a Grizzly G1023 when I found this PM66 close to me. I am usually a big stickler on buying new, hence my reluctance to move forward with a used purchase.

With that said, what do you think of this saw?
www. ebay .com/itm/Powermatic-Model-66-Table-Saw-/141180772918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20df07a236

Is it worth the money? Would you chose it over a new Grizzly?

Bill McNiel
02-02-2014, 4:33 PM
You are right to step up to a cabinet saw, huge difference from a craftsman contractor's. This saw seems pretty ugly for the price. You should be able to get a unisaw or equivilent in great shape for around a grand.

John McClanahan
02-02-2014, 4:41 PM
I have the same saw. It's a huge step up from the Craftsman. I think that saw, in that condition should be priced closer to $800.

John

Jared Yost
02-02-2014, 4:55 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I was kinda thinking. Seemed a little rough for the price.

Loren Woirhaye
02-02-2014, 5:05 PM
I think it's overpriced but those are very well-made saws. I buy every machine used, which does require patience, but I seldom lose any money when I make an upgrade.

Keith Hankins
02-02-2014, 5:12 PM
I have a Craftsman contractor saw that just really doesn't do what I need it to and I've been thinking of an entry level cabinet saw. I think I had finally decided on a Grizzly G1023 when I found this PM66 close to me. I am usually a big stickler on buying new, hence my reluctance to move forward with a used purchase.

With that said, what do you think of this saw?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermatic-Model-66-Table-Saw-/141180772918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20df07a236

Is it worth the money? Would you chose it over a new Grizzly?

Well, an old PM is a great saw. I think its over priced though. I just sold my Griz 1023slx for 800. If it were me, I'd offer 800. Now new griz vs old american iron, I'd go old American Iron. My griz server me well for the 9 years i had it, but you can gind great deals on good used older saws. Go regester over on the vintage machinery forum and watch the classifieds. You will find some great rehabbed machines at great prices. If it's close and you can get it down under a grand might be worth it. Keep in mind with used saws if problems are to be there its more than likely bearings, but those ca be replaced. Finally when you do get your cabinet saw, you will wonder how you ever made it without it.

CPeter James
02-02-2014, 5:30 PM
That is a 1993 model. It has had a power feeder mounted on it. If you are really interested, and it is close by, maybe you could get a "viewing" and check it out. It is priced a little high, but PM66s are more saw that a Uni in most people's opinion. It will probably need motor and arbor bearings and a real good cleanup, but then you would have a real nice machine.

CPeter

Jared Yost
02-02-2014, 7:06 PM
That saw is probably a mere 15 miles from me. I'll reach out and see if I can set up a viewing.

Jared Yost
02-02-2014, 7:10 PM
I am severely impatient though. I hate the thought of having to put time into a used saw to bring it up to spec.

Loren Woirhaye
02-02-2014, 9:10 PM
Considering the types of problems many buyers of mail order machinery like Grizzly have getting the machine working as designed, I don't really see how buying a new Taiwan machine new from a non-local dealer is a guarantee of no-hassles if that's your concern. Many people have yanked out their hair over dealing with Grizzly. The only Grizzly machines I've had are a Shop Fox moulder/planer and a shaper, both of which were adequate. I see the most complaints about the table saws and jointers.

CPeter James
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
What might be need on the PM66 would not take more than a couple of days if you are doing a complete restoration and repaint, just getting the machine in top running condition. There are things to check like the elevation and angling and that there are not broken castings. It may not be a good deal, but a new PM is pushing $3,000 and it is made across the pond. Check it out and at least you will have the chance to pass based on what you see in person, not just a photo.

BTW, I have a PM66 from 1993 and love it.

CPeter

Rich Riddle
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I love rebuilding old iron, but that one has been abused; it's easy to see. Many prefer the older Powermatic to the Delta Unisaw. The specific saw needs to be close to $700 to make it even a decent price. It's not been well maintained. Lots of things can cost money to repair on an abused saw. Much better saws out there.

Not to mention, that particular seller has a couple of negative feedbacks from different buyers. That's enough to stay away.

michael case
02-03-2014, 12:29 AM
I used to own a 66. Don’t fall for the 66 myth because it has a life of its own not related to the realities of later model PM 66s. The later yellow/gold ones are over rated. I actually had one – A brand new one! On mine the table was way out – over 1/32” corner to corner. The worm gear was totally misaligned, barely catching the edge of the the tilting rack. The iron block carrying the worm gear was drilled wrong and there was no fix. It also had lots and lots of run out. Even with a complete replacement bearing from PM it NEVER gave clean cuts. Further the cowling was the thinnest cheapest plastic junk you ever saw. I mention this because its the myth of the 66 that allows people to ask such an outrageous price for a saw that has clearly been seriously neglected. The saw your viewing was clearly neglected. Move on. If your hearts still set on a 66 there are plenty of better deals out there.

Bradley Gray
02-03-2014, 6:09 AM
I have a PM66 that I bought on ebay 4 or 5 years ago It is 3HP 3PH with a 52" Bess. and I paid about $600. It needed some cleanup but is an awesome saw. Single phase probably makes this one more valuable.

Jared Yost
02-03-2014, 8:54 AM
I love rebuilding old iron, but that one has been abused; it's easy to see. Many prefer the older Powermatic to the Delta Unisaw. The specific saw needs to be close to $700 to make it even a decent price. It's not been well maintained. Lots of things can cost money to repair on an abused saw. Much better saws out there.

Not to mention, that particular seller has a couple of negative feedbacks from different buyers. That's enough to stay away.

Thanks. So I guess I don't know enough about the 66. What years would be considered "older" and preferred?

I used to own a 66. Don’t fall for the 66 myth because it has a life of its own not related to the realities of later model PM 66s. The later yellow/gold ones are over rated. I actually had one – A brand new one! On mine the table was way out – over 1/32” corner to corner. The worm gear was totally misaligned, barely catching the edge of the the tilting rack. The iron block carrying the worm gear was drilled wrong and there was no fix. It also had lots and lots of run out. Even with a complete replacement bearing from PM it NEVER gave clean cuts. Further the cowling was the thinnest cheapest plastic junk you ever saw. I mention this because its the myth of the 66 that allows people to ask such an outrageous price for a saw that has clearly been seriously neglected. The saw your viewing was clearly neglected. Move on. If your hearts still set on a 66 there are plenty of better deals out there.

My heart isn't set on one. I just read about so many positives and thought it was worth seeing if there are any close.

Jared Yost
02-03-2014, 8:55 AM
What might be need on the PM66 would not take more than a couple of days if you are doing a complete restoration and repaint, just getting the machine in top running condition. There are things to check like the elevation and angling and that there are not broken castings. It may not be a good deal, but a new PM is pushing $3,000 and it is made across the pond. Check it out and at least you will have the chance to pass based on what you see in person, not just a photo.

BTW, I have a PM66 from 1993 and love it.

CPeter

Do you feel your 93 is as nice as the older PMs?

Myk Rian
02-03-2014, 9:34 AM
A 1993 saw shouldn't need bearings.
The rust and dirt means nothing. Bar Keepers Friend will clean it up.
$1,200 is too much.

CPeter James
02-03-2014, 4:22 PM
Do you feel your 93 is as nice as the older PMs?
I think my '93 PM66 is pretty nice. It is the two belt drive system vs the three belt. The fit and finish is excellent. It cuts like a dream. It has the 3 hp single phase motor. I only paid $1,000 with a nice surround table. I did replace the fence with a Delta UniFence. It is fitted with an Exactor sliding table and overarm blade guard. I run Ridge Carbide blades, but also have Forrest and others. To answer you question, I would say that because it was in great condition when I bought it, that I would have to say that this particular saw is as good as the older ones.

A long and slightly disjointed answer.

Cpeter

Edward Oleen
02-04-2014, 6:07 PM
I went looking for the saw on ebay, and found the entry "terminated by user due to error", or some such. I clicked on the photo and got a screen of Powermatic equipment for sale - mostly 66 saws. THere is one there for $500... GRAB IT!!!!! It's got the extension wing, the original PM fence, and is on the mobile base. If I had room for it I wouldn't be writing this...