PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Susan Shelf... How would you?

Jon Wilson
02-02-2014, 1:48 PM
I have an idea on how I am going to put this together.
That being said, How would you build it?

John TenEyck
02-02-2014, 2:02 PM
I made a two shelf lazy Susan corner unit when I built my kitchen cabinets. I didn't like the commercial units like shown in your photo because stuff can fall over the side and end up who knows where. I also felt they were wobbly. So I designed my own so that the two lazy Susan units sit on the bottom of the cabinet and a fixed shelf, respectively. The lazy Susan units are made of white Melamine to match the cabinets. For the outer rim I used a strip of white vinyl about 1-1/2" wide, and molded it around the corners with a heat gun, then glued and tacked it to the shelf perimeter. They sit on metal lazy Susan rings rated for 100+ lbs with some anti friction pads near the perimeter for added stability against tipping. I added a bullet catch under the shelf that locks into one of the anti friction pads to hold the rotating shelves in the proper position so the folding door can close w/o hitting anything. They are rock solid, and are now almost 20 years old with no issues.

John

johnny means
02-02-2014, 2:33 PM
I would go with an octagon shape in order to eliminate the need for the curved lip. The difficulty of setting up to make that one piece doesn't seem cost beneficial to me.

Jon Wilson
02-02-2014, 2:47 PM
I am kinda forced to go with the pie shape seeing that is the shape of the plastic ones already in the lazy susan.

I am just replacing the 2 cheap, flimsy ones, actually one of them is broken right where the shelf attaches to the door,
The shelves attach to the door at the cutout (if that makes any sense)

Jay Jolliffe
02-02-2014, 2:54 PM
What I'd do is cut out the pie shape from plywood less what ever the thickness of the sides are going to be. Rip 1/8'' strips of what wood your going to use. Laminate (glue) them together around the radius. Then ad the corner pieces.

John TenEyck
02-02-2014, 3:42 PM
I repaired a shelf like yours on a kitchen remodel I did a couple of years ago. I replaced the cheap plastic parts where your arrows point to with wood stained to match the new doors/drawer fronts I made. More significant, I made a new folding door hinged from the cabinet stile. IMHO, it looks a lot better now. Here's a picture of the remodel.

Sorry, no pic of the inside, but here's a picture of the ones I built on the fixed shelves for my own kitchen, which operates the same way.

John

Lee Schierer
02-02-2014, 5:12 PM
Before you start cutting, measure the inside of the cupboard and determine if you can make the shelves any larger. My experience is that the plastic shelves are generally undersized due to molding constraints.