PDA

View Full Version : AT&T DSL router ?

Rich Engelhardt
02-02-2014, 12:01 PM
I'm on my third AT&T "two wire" DSL router.

I got lucky this time around when it went out.
My son had AT&T and dropped it so he had a router just sitting in the closet.

Last time it went out, I was stuck for a few days w/out anything, then when the AT&T guy came out, we had to jump through a dozen hoops and check out everything under the Sun. Finally he said, "It's a bad router".

Yeah - no kidding. What was your first clue, the fact that it had no lights on it???

Anyhow - I'd like to pick up a new router and stick the Two Wire one I glommed from my son on the shelf for a backup.

Do I have to stay with a Two Wire brand or can I use something else?

jim hedgpeth
02-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Their U-verse junk is no better....

Last time it went out, I was stuck for a few days w/out anything, then when the AT&T guy came out, we had to jump through a dozen hoops and check out everything under the Sun. Finally he said, "It's a bad router".

Yeah - no kidding. What was your first clue, the fact that it had no lights on it???

Only my lights just start blinking at random, whenever it wants. On the third one, its not as bad, but I'm calling Newwave monday to see about switching providers.

I have had U-verse for 4 mo. and its done nothing but tick me off from day 1.

Also....

then when the AT&T guy came out
Is it just me, or do they expect you to miss work for their guy to drop by and tell you what you already knew?
"appointment for sometime between 8am and 5pm" bla-bla....
I get home around 3:30pm, it will have to be after that.
"well,......... what do you want to do then?"
:mad: you dont want to know..............

Their people have always been polite and as helpful as their policies allow, but their routers suck.
Anyway, hope you have better luck.

Jim

Larry Browning
02-02-2014, 1:20 PM
I do not have DSL, so I do not know for sure, but I believe that just about any newer router will work. It is my understanding that the Two Wire routers that come with AT&T DLS are about the bottom of the barrel. I recently got an ASUS RT-N66U and it is awesome! It provides much better throughput for both wireless and wired access. I think it would huge upgrade for you, especially if you do any video streaming.

Brian Elfert
02-02-2014, 3:09 PM
Larry, I'm pretty sure a router used with this service needs to have a special interface for the DSL itself, but I could be wrong too. I had DSL from Qwest/Centurylink up until two years ago and it needed a special router/modem with DSL interface,

Chuck Wintle
02-02-2014, 3:42 PM
I use a d-link model 520B modem as a bridge and the account set up in my d-link router. Had good luck with d-link.

Jerome Stanek
02-02-2014, 4:01 PM
I'm pretty sure any good router will work. My son and daughter each have uverse and they have their own router. Daughters is a Dlink and sons is a netgear

Pat Barry
02-02-2014, 4:21 PM
I just upgraded my Century Link DSL and bought a Century Link C1000A router from Best Buy. Super easy install and it works flawlessly (so far ~ 1month). I think it was $99 and has 4 wired ports and is wireless running 2 Laptops, 1 desktop, and a Tablet.

Phil Thien
02-02-2014, 4:45 PM
Larry, I'm pretty sure a router used with this service needs to have a special interface for the DSL itself, but I could be wrong too. I had DSL from Qwest/Centurylink up until two years ago and it needed a special router/modem with DSL interface,

AT&T typically installs combined U-Verse modems/gateways. That includes the 2Wire and Motorola units. For a single-pair connection I think pretty much any U-Verse modem/gateway will work. If you have a bonded pair, I think you need the Motorola NVG589.

Mike Henderson
02-02-2014, 11:44 PM
AT&T typically installs combined U-Verse modems/gateways. That includes the 2Wire and Motorola units. For a single-pair connection I think pretty much any U-Verse modem/gateway will work. If you have a bonded pair, I think you need the Motorola NVG589.
I think Phil is correct. ATT needs to be able to manage the modem from their network management center so it has to be a modem that they recognize. They also are able to limit the bit rate that the modem provides and only their modems work with their network management to do that. I'm pretty sure that if you stick "any" DSL modem on your line it won't connect.

Mike

Jerome Stanek
02-03-2014, 7:06 AM
I think Phil is correct. ATT needs to be able to manage the modem from their network management center so it has to be a modem that they recognize. They also are able to limit the bit rate that the modem provides and only their modems work with their network management to do that. I'm pretty sure that if you stick "any" DSL modem on your line it won't connect.

Mike

I think you have to use their modem but you can use it in bridge mode to use your own router

Ken Massingale
02-03-2014, 8:50 AM
Down here AT&T has replaced the 2Wire with Netgear 7550's.

I'm much happier with the Netgear than with the several 2Wire units I had.

Phil Thien
02-03-2014, 9:09 AM
I think you have to use their modem but you can use it in bridge mode to use your own router

None of the AT&T U-Verse modems with which I'm familiar support a true bridge mode. You CAN still use your own router, but you have to play around w/ the settings on the 2Wire/Motorola modem in order to pass the public IP through to a third-party router, and the modem itself can still be used as a router on the same IP. It is kind of screwy. Don't get me wrong, it works, but it is a bit goofy.

Phil Thien
02-03-2014, 9:19 AM
Down here AT&T has replaced the 2Wire with Netgear 7550's.

I'm much happier with the Netgear than with the several 2Wire units I had.

What kind of connection speed are you getting?

I found this table which indicates the various speeds offered (historically and now). Table below.

Kind of interesting. The item not listed is a new tier which is 45 Mbit/s down and 6 Mbit/s up. I don't know what they call it, probably Max Turbo Plus. This is created by bonding two pairs and using the NVG589 modem. I've been using it for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. My old work connection was via Time Warner (which around here is very expensive for business connections). Time Warner was charging about $175/month for a 12x2 connection, and the AT&T 45x6 connection is about $90.