PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone selling their Lie Nielsen Low Angle Jack Planes

Gary Howorka
02-01-2014, 5:56 PM
Relatively new at hand tool thing.

My list of planes include
Stanley 3
Stanley 5
Veritas Low Angle Smoother
Veritas Low Jointer
Lie Nielsen Standard Angle Block
Lie Nielsen Rabbett Block
Veritas Low Angle Block

Have thought about buying either Veritas or Lie Nielsen Low Angle Jack but wondering why so many folks are selling them on ebay?

Anybody with some inside info?

thx

Sean Hughto
02-01-2014, 6:19 PM
"Everyone"?? I can find three listed right now. Can you find more? What do you think you are seeing?

Jerry Thompson
02-01-2014, 6:20 PM
I saw only two LN LA Jacks and no LV for sale just now on EBay.

Maurice Ungaro
02-01-2014, 6:20 PM
I don't know why, they are some of the most perfect tools out there. Particularly since one has the ability to swap blades out to change the cutting angle, or even to use a toothed blade (Prashun Patel can attest to the usefulness of such). I'll tell you this: don't but one on EBay if it exceeds the original purchase price. That's just plain crazy.

David Weaver
02-01-2014, 6:24 PM
That's just plain crazy.

That's international buyers usually doing that. Sometimes it's international buyers with straw purchasers in the US.

The importers in other countries often have much higher prices on LN than we have here, sometimes due to the VAT in other countries, and sometimes it's just higher in general.

Let's say you're looking to get a LN tool in the UK and the vat is something like 15-20%, and the price before the VAT is already 15% higher. They can get on ebay and get a LN plane that is gently used, pay no VAT on it because of that and end up ahead.

That doesn't help you as a US buyer, but it does tell you that if you ever want to sell your LN planes, opening them to international shipping is a good idea if you want to maximize what you get. You may get an international buyer even without doing that (if they have someone willing to accept delivery of their ebay items and then send them international).

Maurice Ungaro
02-01-2014, 6:27 PM
David, good point. International shipping does offer a much wider market.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-01-2014, 6:43 PM
I have noticed more than usual popping up each week. I also have seen a number of other LN items. It may simply be that folks got other toys for Christmas.

I have and LOVE the Veritas low angle jack, jointer, and smoother. Both companies offer excellent tools. I like the fence (optional) on the Veritas jointer.

As as for the comments on international shipping, I cannot count the times I would have gladly bid an item up except the seller said "Lower 48 only." It's a stupid term. Hawaii is lower than the others, as well as the USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa- all lower, all US.

John Lanciani
02-01-2014, 7:12 PM
I cannot count the times I would have gladly bid an item up except the seller said "Lower 48 only." It's a stupid term. Hawaii is lower than the others, as well as the USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa- all lower, all US.

Would you prefer "contiguous US states only"? (I only sell to the contiguous states when I post here in the classifieds because I always include shipping in my price. It's easier for me and the buyer knows upfront what the price is.)

Gary Howorka
02-01-2014, 7:29 PM
Well, maybe everyone was the wrong word. I have been watching over last few months and a lot of those seem to move through eBay versus other planes. I am just wondering if people don't like the low angle as a jack plane. I know there are some merits with different blade options/angles, but the same holds true for standard bench planes with the different frogs you can use. It's not a knock on lie Nielsen or anything. Just a curiosity. Sorry if I used the wrong word.

Sean Hughto
02-01-2014, 7:33 PM
No worries. I just wondered what you meant. Many folks love LA planes. I have a 62 and am glad to have it, and use it often, but for most planing I use my standard bevel down bench planes. They are easier to adjust on the fly and to camber.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-01-2014, 8:00 PM
Would you prefer "contiguous US states only"? (I only sell to the contiguous states when I post here in the classifieds because I always include shipping in my price. It's easier for me and the buyer knows upfront what the price is.)

That's better than "continental US". Alaska is on the same continent. :-)

Back on topic, I have become a huge fan of low angle planes. My recommendation is that you buy all the same brand so you can swap blades between them. I did so, and now have plenty of bevel up blades that all fit my jointer, smoother, and jack. I have more than one of each bevel angle so I can swap blades rather than sharpen when doing a large project.

The toothed blade is a great thing if you do a lot of figured wood.

No need for different frogs; just different blades. Blade changes are also less fussy.

Ray Bohn
02-01-2014, 11:38 PM
I've noticed that many of the LN planes that are for sale appear to be new merchandise. Not sure what that is all about.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2014, 11:56 PM
I've noticed that many of the LN planes that are for sale appear to be new merchandise. Not sure what that is all about.

Some people collect things and one of the things some people collect is hand planes.

I tend to save the boxes from new planes. Maybe one day my heirs will be happy I did.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
02-02-2014, 12:01 AM
I'm not selling mine. I love mine. It's a tremendous multi purpose plane.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2014, 2:08 AM
I'm not selling mine. I love mine. It's a tremendous multi purpose plane.

Mine isn't as multi purpose, but I love it just the same.

jtk

Anthony Moumar
02-02-2014, 5:52 AM
From what I've heard from other people LN stuff was very expensive here is Australia before we got an authorized reseller. A LN LA jack is $319 here from the authorized reseller so it's not worth getting one shipped from overseas. The cheapest I can find a veritas LA jack from an Australian retailer is $373 with an A2 blade. Luckily Lee Valley do international shipping. I got my veritas jack for $280 with the PB-V11 blade and shipping direct from them so I can definitely see it being cheaper for people from places that don't have a good reseller to pay higher than retail price for LN stuff.

lowell holmes
02-02-2014, 10:23 AM
You can't have my LV BU Jack or Smoother. They will be part of my estate.

David Weaver
02-02-2014, 10:35 AM
I didn't see it said here, but maybe someone else did say it, but part of the reason there have been a steady supply for sale is probably because there are scads and scads of them out there. They are pitched as the easiest planes to use, which makes them a magnet to new buyers (who are the folks who spend the most and buy the most, and at the same time are also the highest chance of quitting woodworking or changing their mind and going a different direction with tools).

The post-Christmas thing above is a good point, too. Anyone who was going to sell something now has the time to do it, too.

Brian Holcombe
02-02-2014, 11:11 AM
I do think that the pitch in regard to LA jack is inaccurate. It's not a great all-around plane out of the box, it requires an iron for everything, since every different type of cut does require a different angle. It can be an all-around but not without effort.

i think it's meant to be the first plane you put to work on most operations, and some people interpret that as the only plane you need for most operations. They may find themselves disappointed to find out that it's not that. Often times you read stuff like '...if you have only one plane, it should be this one.' They often leave out....this is the first one, then you purchase 10 more.

glenn bradley
02-02-2014, 11:15 AM
I am also not part of "everyone". I have the LV LAJ, BU smoother and BU jointer. All take the same iron so I have a few and swap them as I need. I think I'll convert the LAJ into an urn and have myself interred in it :D:D:D

Maurice Ungaro
02-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I am also not part of "everyone". I have the LV LAJ, BU smoother and BU jointer. All take the same iron so I have a few and swap them as I need. I think I'll convert the LAJ into an urn and have myself interred in it :D:D:D

I'm with Glenn on this one. True, while a LAJ may not be a panacea, it neatly takes care of a lot of situations. And yes, I also have the BU Jointer and BU Smoother (THAT is one sweet hunk of metal!). I also have a couple of Bedrocks (605 & 606) which will never be traded, but are nice to have when need arises.

Dave Beauchesne
02-02-2014, 1:11 PM
Maybe it is the ' Weaver ' effect - you know when CS touts something ( and I feel he is a good judge of tools ), the price goes up on the 'bay due to the Schwarz effect
In this case, someone ( wink, wink, nudge, nudge ) has compiled info from himself and others that show how to use a chip breaker on BD planes, generously made a point of educating whoever asks or listens,thus, the BU planes are now passé.
All joking aside, I love both BU and BD, in fact my stable of Stanley, LN and LV is extensive.
Probably post Christmas housecleaning.

Jack Curtis
02-03-2014, 1:48 AM
Pam started me with her LN LA Jack for hand plane training, saying that it was a great plane for most bench plane functions. The idea was that as my skills improved, I'd probably want to replace that function of the LA Jack with a plane made specifically for that function, and that eventually I'd have replaced all the functions. That, as it turned out, happened. So every now and then one of us uses the LA Jack for shooting or roughing out level with the toothed iron; thus, we still have it; but technically, I suspect we should sell it according to plan. So maybe there are lots of people who either don't use anything anymore or who've advanced to specific planes.

Chris Griggs
02-03-2014, 6:21 AM
My thoughts are in line with Dave's on this one. The LA jack along with the 60 1/2 or other LA block are two planes that are heavily marketed towards folks getting their first handlplane. I 'd venture to guess that a lot folk buy them and never really learn to use or sharpen them so they get sold. You do see a lot of LA jacks (like 3 a week) and a lot of 60 1/2s on ebay.

I really like my LA Jack. I bought it for and mostly just use it as a shooting plane, but if its out on the bench its nice to be able to pick it up and use it to joint an edge or trim something. It really is a nice plane to use.

I'm not really into the multiple blade thing either though. I have one LA jack blade that I keep at a 25-30 degree angle and one SBUS blade that I keep honed at a 50-55 degree angle...although I wouldn't mind having a toothing blade too for the occasional extra nasty knot.

Tom McMahon
02-03-2014, 1:53 PM
When the 62 low angle plane was introduced, it was advertised to be used across the grain, sort of like a less aggressive scrub plane or on end grain, it excels at trimming proud end grain with the low angle blade. In recent times with the addition of multiple blades and attachments it is being marketed as an all purpose plane and it will function as such to some degree. So what are some reasons one would sell their 62.
1. you buy a 9 1/2 or a 51 and don't need it on your shootboard.
2. you experience the chipbreaker effect and realize that a jack or a smother without a chipbreaker is a real disadvantage.
3. you realize that for the same money you can buy 10 Stanley #5s with chipbreakers, set them up with different back bevels, and never have to switch blades again in the middle of a job.
4. you want to make money by selling LN or LV tools to overseas buyers.

Chris Hachet
02-03-2014, 3:21 PM
I don't know why, they are some of the most perfect tools out there. Particularly since one has the ability to swap blades out to change the cutting angle, or even to use a toothed blade (Prashun Patel can attest to the usefulness of such). I'll tell you this: don't but one on EBay if it exceeds the original purchase price. That's just plain crazy.They do seem like the ideal tool. I have been busy with work and gutting a bathroom, and have not had the time I would like at the bench. However, this tool is high on my list of need to have tools!

Chris Hachet
02-03-2014, 3:22 PM
People have no patience and no mechanical skill, and give up after a short time trying tog et the plane to work.

Chris Hachet
02-03-2014, 3:24 PM
I'm not selling mine. I love mine. It's a tremendous multi purpose plane.I have heard so many people love these. To me it seems like it would excel at rougher work where being able to get the blade out, rehone it, and then get back to work would be a premium. I love My ECE planes, but they do take a bit to get the blade out and rehoned.

Jim Neeley
02-03-2014, 10:24 PM
They are pitched as the easiest planes to use, which makes them a magnet to new buyers (who are the folks who spend the most and buy the most, and at the same time are also the highest chance of quitting woodworking or changing their mind and going a different direction with tools).

I think you have a good point there, David... and there's one thing they don't tell the beginner that's obvious to us but not to a beginner:

It takes a lot more camber on a BU to get rid of plane tracks. My BU wasn't my first but my second hand plane. I started with a #5 Cr*psman knock-off, tuned it up on sandpaper and got such a nice cut it gave me "the tinglies" (know what I mean?). When I bought the BU, plane tracks about drove me to giving up on the plane, as I was still using sandpaper and couldn't get rid of the tracks. Finally I bit the bullet and ordered a LN BD #8 and what a world of difference! A few more LV BDs and coming herelater , I read Derek's posts and it all made sense. I've since gotten a grinder, which makes the cambering a piece of cake but BU's still aren't my thing, for other than occasionally shooting a particularly tough piece.