PDA

View Full Version : Auction Site "Boutique" Saws

Brett Bobo
02-01-2014, 1:01 PM
There are a fair number of "boutique" back saws being sold on places like eBay that appear to be solid saws. By boutique, I'm referring to individuals selling their own saw creations from scratch or combining a mix of say a new handle and saw plate mixed with an old saw back. Also, some of these sellers provide a thorough write up about the saw and even provide warranties or sharpening services. They're not cheap, however, since the saws I've looked at go for around the cost of a LN saw, for example.

I'm particularly interested in the dovetail saws and have considered trying one out. What are your thoughts about theses saws? Has anyone tried them? What pitfalls should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Dave Proper
02-01-2014, 5:06 PM
Brett,
Just recently I bought a 14" sash saw from Joe Federici at Second Chance Saw Works and am very pleased with the saw. My particular saw is a Wheeler, Madden and Clemson saw: original tote, saw nuts and back. The plate is brand new spring steel polished, buffed, jointed, shaped, set and expertly sharpened. This is a 14 ppi hybrid filing for both cross cut and ripping. Since I am just getting into handsaws I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to. My wife bought me a LN tapered dovetail saw for Christmas and the cutting performance is about equal. Before buying this sash saw I was planning on buying a 14" sash saw from Bad Axe Tool Works however it was more than double the cost especially with my desired customizations of a walnut handle with bright silver nickel plate back and saw nuts (a lot of bling but easy to recognize in my saw till!). I think that if you find someone who is willing to stand by their product you can't go wrong.
Dave