PDA

View Full Version : Mark Duginske's New Complete Guide on Bandsaw

Tai Fu
02-01-2014, 6:51 AM
Is this book spades better than other books on bandsaw (such as The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird)?

I'm asking because I can't seem to find ebook version of this book, and I have to wait weeks (someone in Taiwan sells it but since it's Chinese New Year, no one is open) in order to get paper version of this book.

Do you know anyone selling ebook version of this book?

Jim Matthews
02-01-2014, 8:44 AM
They're basically the same text.

Mark Duginske
02-02-2014, 8:47 AM
This is an updated version of my band saw material including my test of aftermarket
tension gauges which are not needed.

I am working on updating more of the material and offering it in an ebook version.

Is this book better than the other books? YES. The Bird book and the Johnson book
are basically warmed over versions of my books without the knowledge or substance.

Where I use a photo Bird uses a drawing. When I called Helen Albert at Taunton
and told Helen Albert at Taunton that Taunton and Bird ripped me off her comment was
"Will any one notice"?

Johnson quotes me directly on things like tuning the back of the blade with a stone which
is a technique I developed.I say "do it for 5 minutes".

When authors rip someone else off I wish they would at least have enough
imagination to change the sentence.

In my book I have a checklist for buying used machines. And guess what???
Johnson's book has a check list.

Bird and Johnson keep passing on the original misinformation about aftermarket
tension gauges being more accurate. These tension gauges are made for
very large metal cutting saws. It is like using a 55 gallon drum to measure a
cup of fluid. They both measure fluid but the scale is not correct.

Mike Kees
06-05-2014, 8:36 PM
Hi Mark. I have a question for you. I have your new book and have attempted to reach the website mentioned in the front but cannot seem to find it. I also would appreciate some help with ideas to make my saw quieter. I have a delta 14 with riser block installed. It is a U.S. made 1989 model. I have added a 3/16 plate to the top of the stand (welded) ,1.5 h.p. baldor motor, and machined pulleys and link belt. The new motor has made my saw louder,mostly vibration on the stand sides ,kind of hums. Is there some sort of foam,etc that I could use to quiet this down. Wheels are balanced,co-planar,no twist. Am using cool blocks in my guides. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gus Dundon
06-06-2014, 4:52 PM
Mike, the best suggestion I can give is you watch the Alex Snograss' Band saw set up video on Youtube.

Mike Kees
06-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the info,will check it out.

Mike Kees
06-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Alex was good,learned a few things there. However the original purpose of my post is making my machine quieter and reducing vibration in the base. That is where I need help.