PDA

View Full Version : Griggio Star 6 Bandsaw - anyone have info on this saw

marty shultz
01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
What do you know about this saw? it's going to be auctioned soon. I haven't seen it in person and there's nothing written about it yet. looked on the internet and only found Star 600 by ACM who likely made this saw.

Do you know the resaw capacity, throat depth, likely HP and phase, solid iron wheels ...? Is the industrial line or hobby line?

And, what is the price range for a saw like this?

I appreciate your help. Thanks

http://www.auctionaz.com/images/IMG_2736.jpg

Loren Woirhaye
02-01-2014, 1:18 AM
No saw that size is a "hobby" machine. A large saw like that will be a delight to use. If you pay more than $800 for it you may have trouble getting your money out later. In terms of upgrading your shop capacity, I'd keep the max bid under $1001 but you may get it a good deal cheaper.

It looks like it may be a 24" saw but I could be mistaken and it's a 20".

Be aware it may be a 3 phase machine. Don't let it spook you, setting up to run 3 phase is just a bit of hassle and an expense. Having 3 phase will open up a whole world of heavier class machinery bargains to you.

mreza Salav
02-01-2014, 8:47 AM
Don't know that model but it looks very similar (other than the color) to my SNA-600:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189669-Running-my-3-phase-bandsaw-using-a-VFD&highlight=

Mine was new used (i.e. previous owner bought but never even put a blade one). It's a very good saw IMO. I have a resaw king 1.25" on it and works well.
It is a 24" saw with 14.75" (or so) resaw height. If you remove the guides you get about 17" or so.

Erik Loza
02-01-2014, 9:37 AM
It's an ACM machine, re-badged for Griggio. I don't believe Griggio ever made their own bandsaws. "6" probably means "600", so it's a 24" saw. Assuming Griggio did not change the name to much, it's probably a "Star", so the lighter of the two big bandsaws ACM makes. That's not a knock, though. It's still a very well built machine

I'm sure it has a three-phase motor, probably 50Hz, and the resaw capacity looks to be in the 12"-14" range. If it's a machine you like, I would follow Mreza's project. He did a great job with his.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Kumm
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
What Erik said. I'd put it with a Meber and abehind a Centauro or ACM 640 but just a little. Given that SCMI Centauro 600 run 1500-2500 used I'd put this in the 1500-2000 if condition is good. If it is close enough to haul kyou can add for that. Dave

Jeff Bartley
02-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Mreza, I looked at your installation thread again, what a clean install! Thanks for the tutorial for those of us still dreaming of a bandsaw upgrade! Erik, in your opinion is a VFD/3-phase saw a better option than the same saw with single phase power? I'm thinking that some of programming options might be cool but I don't have the experience with a VFD to know if the complication is worth having those options (like soft-start, braking, power loss shut off to switch). With the exception of the soft-start the others could be handled by a foot brake and a mag switch.
-Jeff (always dreaming of a shiny new or used bandsaw!)

Jeff Bartley
02-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Forgot to add: Marty-I sure hope you get that saw!

marty shultz
02-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I appreciate all your comments.

The location hasn't been announced yet but I think the saw is located about 100 miles away from me. There is also a Felder K500 slider, Laguna 16HD bandsaw, an old mortising machine, free standing spindle sander and wide belt sander. It may be worth a road trip!

Woodworking equipment auctions near me usually get good money for equipment. I'll probably walk away empty handed but the hunt is fun.

Matt Day
02-01-2014, 1:18 PM
Jeff,

i recently bought a vfd for my 20" powermatic bs and it was pretty easy to install. Cost me $200 (Teco fm 50 from factorymation) to convert the three phase motor to single phase. I can use it to change speed to cut metal if I want, I can program the time to ramp up to full speed and slow down to stop (less amp draw so it doesn't trip the breaker), and it's got other programmable functions I haven't used yet.

I did wire it to the foot brake, but I think it basically just sees the foot brake as an off switch and the motor brings it to a stop. I think if I push down on the foot pedal and try to stop the wheels with friction it would be working against the motor brake which I think would be a bad thing.

I think the cost of a decent 3 hp single phase motor would be a lot more than $200 and you don't get the added functionality. Used Saws this size are seemingly always three phase, but being willing to use a vfd can make them smoking deals. I got mine up and running on single phase for about $700. I'm sure I could sell it for $1000 if I ever needed to since I have a much larger audience for it.

I'll pics of my install at some point, but I think it's pretty slick.

Mreza, I looked at your installation thread again, what a clean install! Thanks for the tutorial for those of us still dreaming of a bandsaw upgrade! Erik, in your opinion is a VFD/3-phase saw a better option than the same saw with single phase power? I'm thinking that some of programming options might be cool but I don't have the experience with a VFD to know if the complication is worth having those options (like soft-start, braking, power loss shut off to switch). With the exception of the soft-start the others could be handled by a foot brake and a mag switch.
-Jeff (always dreaming of a shiny new or used bandsaw!)

Matt Day
02-01-2014, 2:59 PM
Just took a few pictures of the install. First picture is with the VFD installed facing outward, which I had while I was tweaking the settings and making it it all worked as I wanted. And all I need to do is remove 4 screws and it tucks into the frame nicely for a much cleaner look.

The 3rd and 4th pics show a nice little feature. I used a simple metal single gang on/off switch and a couple magnets to place the switch rather than drilling holes. The rare earth magnets are plenty strong to hold it in place, and I can move it where I want for easier use. For instance if I'm resawing it might be easier to locate it on the side for easier reach. The stock switch on my saw is way in the back and with a saw this size that's far away!

mreza Salav
02-01-2014, 8:05 PM
Thanks Erik, Jeff.
Initially I wasn't happy that the saw was 3-phase but now I prefer it that way, you can use the braking mechanism of VFD to stop the saw in a few seconds.
Also, I can adjust the speed a bit if/when needed.
Those machines in the auction sure make it worth a visit.

David Dalzell
02-01-2014, 9:06 PM
If it is the same as Griggio Star 600 then the specifications are as follows:
Wheel 600mm about 24"
Resaw 370mm about 14.5"
Motor 3 hp Don't know about 2 or 3 phase
Throat 580mm about 23"
Weight 280kg about 616 lbs

Irish Tomás Mac Giolla Ghunna
02-16-2014, 7:52 AM
Hello Marty
See if you can get a pic of the motors nameplate and check if it has a dual phase motor .i.e .....
( DELTA wire sequence necessary for vfd use )
This could be used as a bargaining chip .

Don't be put off by 3 phase motors ,... Realistically you need soft start for decent dust collection too ....
(Well maybe not over the pond with yer 100a sub panels :cool: )
Dust collection should be next tool purchase on the list if you dont have proper DC already ........

And depending on your power supply you might need a vfd's soft start setting with that saw
or you could be tripping your breaker
VFD's will only encourage good dust collection /cyclone building/machine hunting.

I also have been restoring a griggio star 600 that shall be running soon ...
Once im finished decrypting a Huanyang VFD manual

Link ...

http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3355&sid=797ebaa06460ae4e760e0a5c5138b507&start=14
There's also a great read up by a fella called Bob concerning VFD's and motors which got me started...
Info on Induction motors here:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... Issue2.pdf (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchin/Induction%20motors%20-%20Issue2.pdf)

Hope this helps
Tom