PDA

View Full Version : Tools at work and insurance

Dave Lehnert
01-31-2014, 10:00 PM
what kind of insurance, if any, do you have for your personal tools stored and used at work? Mostly hand tools and small power tools like drills and the like. Not talking huge money, may not even be worth the $$$$.
Just wondering if one can get a rider on homeowners insurance or how is the best way to have coverage.

Larry Edgerton
02-01-2014, 6:36 AM
Dave, I take quite a lot of tools to my jobsites and have checked on insurance for what I take to the job. I would pay for the tools every four years at the cost of the insurance so I just try to be more secure and use lock boxes. At this point I am way ahead.

Larry

Kevin Jenness
02-01-2014, 7:17 AM
My tools are covered at work by my employer's policy, which I believe has a $500 deductible. Check with your employer, maybe they have the same type of coverage.

Chris Damm
02-01-2014, 8:05 AM
When I was working I had about $10,000 worth of tools at work. My employer had insurance that covered losses. The union also had coverage for small losses. In 33 years I never heard of anyone having a claim.

Rich Engelhardt
02-01-2014, 8:30 AM
I do similar to Larry.
I keep a close eye on the better tools I have to use on a job & seldom if ever leave them onsite.

I also run a second level of tools that go onsite instead of staying in the shop.
Eg. - my shop CMS is a DeWalt 10" and my onsite CMS is a Ryobi 10"(and/or Workforce 8.5" slider).

My "good" cordless drill/driver is a DeWaly 18V. My stay at the jobsite cordless is an 18V B&D.

$500.00 deductible can buy a lot of low cost tools.

John Brad
02-02-2014, 11:15 AM
All employers will carry different types of insurance. You need to check with them.

Jerome Stanek
02-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I have lost a lot of tools some have been covered and some not. I had a trailer stolen off the job site that had about $1000 worth of tools and supplies in it that wasn't covered. most of the time from inside the job site it was small stuff but that adds up real quick. Like i had ome folding horses, drill bits, screw tips, and tape measures. My truck was broken into 3 different times and all together about $5000 worth of tools. Insurance paid for some but not all.

Dave Sheldrake
02-02-2014, 10:01 PM
It's strange here, I don't allow any of my guys to use their own tools at work, there are all sorts of legal issues for me if they have an accident with their kit rather than mine.

cheers

Dave