PDA

View Full Version : antique oil over BLO

Steve Voigt
01-31-2014, 4:14 PM
Hi Folks,
First time here in the finish dept. - I usually hang with the neanderthals.
I'd like to put a coat or two of minwax antique oil over BLO. Any thoughts on how long I should wait?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

glenn bradley
01-31-2014, 5:38 PM
I'm no guru but, I would think that if the BLO penetrates and cures, your second oil will fail to penetrate or only partially penetrate leaving you a possible problem. Why both? Is the Minwax colored? If there was a driving reason to use both I would be tempted to blend them and apply them together but, am not sure of your goal so this may not gain you anything. I use BLO frequently in blends and so will look forward to our better finishers responses.

Scott Holmes
01-31-2014, 6:14 PM
Minwax Antique oil is mostly BLO anyway. It's and oil/varnish blend. will provide a bit more protection than BLO by itself but is better used on raw wood not oiled wood.

Howard Acheson
02-01-2014, 11:18 AM
As has been stated already, Minwax Antique Oil is mostly linseed oil. There is no benefit to applying Antique Oil over BLO. In fact, if the BLO has dried and cured, it will have sealed the surface of the wood and further applications of Antique Oil will be mostly removed by the wiping off of the excess.

Bob Wingard
02-07-2014, 12:40 PM
SIMPLE ... pour a tiny bit of BLO in a shallow dish and set it next to your project. When it dries/cures/evaporates/whatever the heck it does, it is safe to topcoat your project. Usually, a few years is sufficient. In case you haven't noticed ... I HATE BLO !!! It's meant to protect wheelbarrow handles from the weather ... not fine furniture from it's surroundings ...