PDA

View Full Version : Holdfast Vacuum Chuck w/ Jet JWL1236

Alan East
01-31-2014, 2:55 PM
Has anyone connected the Holdfast vacuum system to a Jet JWL 1236? The headstock handle is solid metal, one has to remove handle to use knockout bar. Can you attach vacuum without going though the knockout? Is there a different handle available?

Thanks

wayne forsyth
01-31-2014, 6:11 PM
Using vacuum chucking requires the use of the spindle threads on the outboard side. The Vacuum is attached by utilizing the spindle threads, the knockout provides the vacuum to the inboard chuck. I am not familiar with the 12-36 concerning a replacement handle/spindle wheel.

Wayne

David C. Roseman
02-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Alan, the Holdfast system in particular does not require a threaded outboard spindle. However, as with all vacuum chucking systems I've seen (whether lamp-rod style or those that pull the vacuum directly through the spindle), it does require using the spindle's center bore.

The online manual for your lathe does not show a headstock handwheel as original equipment. Perhaps your solid handwheel was added as an accessory. Having to remove it just to use your knockout bar doesn't sound like fun. Don't know if one with a center bore is commercially available to fit, but depending on how yours attaches, you may be able to make one without too much trouble out of hardwood or high density polyethylene (HDPE). Or if you have a buddy with a metal lathe or milling machine, you may be able to bore a hole in your current handwheel.

David

Ray Koberstine
02-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Alan:
Has anyone connected the Holdfast vacuum system to a Jet JWL 1236?

I have not actually pulled the trigger on a vacuum system but I have that lathe and have researched the options.

The headstock handle is solid metal, one has to remove handle to use knockout bar. Can you attach vacuum without going though the knockout?

I don't think you can. I have seen a homemade system with an adapter built into the handle if you're that fond of the handle. Personally I'd get tired of removing the handle to use the knockout. BTW I believe the handle is 1/2" x 13 left hand threads.

Is there a different handle available?

Not that I've seen or found.

Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.

Alan East
02-05-2014, 3:45 PM
Thanks for the answers. for the present I have decided to use the vacuum with my Delta midi lathe. I believe I read somewhere there is an adapter available for the Jet but I haven't found it yet. I intend to use it to finish the bottom of bowls and hold while carving.

Again Thanks for your responses.

Alan East
02-05-2014, 3:49 PM
I hadn't noticed there wasn't a handwheel in the parts diagram! Another responder mentioned a wheel that sounds identical to mine so maybe someone sold it aftermarket.

Yes it' a pain to have to use the knockout. Thanks goodness it doesn't happen often.

-- Alan