PDA

View Full Version : A maple elbow... natural bottom?

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2005, 11:35 PM
This is from a maple tree in northeast Texas on my brother's property. This piece is going to him for the wood. It's about 7" across the whole thing and 2 1/4" deep. First time I tried something like this and am still wondering how to make the cutofff ends look better in the future. It has Waco natural Danish, but not buffed yet. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Note: Big fingers can get even bigger on a piece with legs like this one. :eek:

Ernie

Jeff Sudmeier
06-15-2005, 8:18 AM
Ernie,

That looks great! I have always liked those square edged bowls! :)

Jim Becker
06-15-2005, 9:52 AM
Very nice, Ernie. I like the smooth contours you constructed that soften the whole piece without taking away the interesting shape. Bravo!

Fred Ray
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Nice work, Ernie. I like what you did with this piece.

John Hart
06-15-2005, 12:40 PM
That is really cool Ernie!!! And the wood is beautiful. Very inspiring

Carole Valentine
06-15-2005, 6:27 PM
How about using pyrography or branding on the the ends? Also, maybe carry the same slope/curve of the bowl to the ends. Cool looking piece you have there, Ernie!

First time I tried something like this and am still wondering how to make the cutofff ends look better in the future.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-15-2005, 9:48 PM
Nice turning, Ernie. I think that may be the first turned elbow I have seen. Will have to try it,

Brad Schmid
06-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Nice job Ernie! Winged bowls are one of my most favorite things to turn. I like the smooth blended style you did.

Brad

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Carole... pyrography, hmmm... chocolate or coconut creme. The continuing curve sounds good too. Thanks for the ideas.

Ernie

Bill Esposito
06-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Looks great Ernie. Personally I wouldn't change anything. I've stored away this idea until I get some time to play. Thanks.

Jim Ketron
06-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Great looking Bowl Ernie!

John Miliunas
06-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Very nice, Erinie! I like how the whole piece just kind of flows from one aspect to the other. I can easily see that on the coffee table with a load of peanuts or such inside! (Not for long, of course!:) ):cool:

Steve Stube
06-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Ernie, I like the piece fine and think you finished the ends the way they called out to be done. Yaw, I'm probably seeing too much here but I see a man in that bowl wearing a Tiny Tim hat and if you take the hat off (limit the field of view further) there is an adorable dog with Collie like features. Even if you don't see the figures (I may be alone on this) it is a real work of art. Thanks for sharing it with us.