PDA

View Full Version : What grits for my new bench grinder

Joe Cowan
01-30-2014, 6:56 PM
I have gotten the new slow speed Jet bench grinder. It comes with one 80 grit and one 100 grit stone. I was wondering what grits are most commonly used by woodworkers for their grinders? It seems 80 and 100 is on the course side for sharpening.

phil harold
01-30-2014, 7:11 PM
I have gotten the new slow speed Jet bench grinder. It comes with one 80 grit and one 100 grit stone. I was wondering what grits are most commonly used by woodworkers for their grinders? It seems 80 and 100 is on the course side for sharpening.
I have a 60 and a 100
they are to grind not sharpen...

bill tindall
01-31-2014, 8:20 AM
The grit size is the least important wheel attribute for sharpening. You will want a friable abrasive particle and a very soft bond so the wheel will run "cool". Crowning the wheel and keeping it freshly dresssed will aid in keeping it running cool. Pink abrasive particle and H bond is a good choice for tool steel in plane blades and chisels. Given these two properties optimumly chosen, it doesn't matter much what the grit is in the range of 60-100. I go from any of these wheel grit sizes to a "fine" diamond plate and then hone with a yet finer grit of your choice- water stone, diamond on cast iron, etc.

Tom Blank
02-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Jerry Glaser has a good explanation of grinding wheels on FWW's website. Don't know if the codes he gives are still good as the article is several years old.