PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Tool list for a beginner doing only hand tool work

Shawn Russell
01-30-2014, 5:09 PM
I would like advice on what is a good beginners tool list for hand work only?

What is a good book to get started with that covers both techniques and will also have projects?

Cheers

Ryan Mooney
01-30-2014, 6:11 PM
I suspect you'll get a more targeted reply if you have some idea of what sort of projects you're looking at doing.

The list of tools can get rather long in many cases and there is usually a reasonable tradeoff between more work and more tools.

I manage to make a fair number of "helpful around the shop" things with a hacksaw, a set of good files (ok not all my files are good, but having good files does make life much easier) a small anvil some center/transfer punches and a handful of hammers (my hammer collection increased nicely last year at an estate sale wooot). I also have a drill press, I'd want some sort of drilling setup (post drill or something) that allowed me to drill reasonably aligned holes as that makes a lot of other stuff much easier (add appropriate drill bits, countersinks, etc..).

I also have a small mig welder and a propane/butane torch (and wish I had oxy/acetylene) but those are not a hand tool per-say.

There are a whole lot of things I can't do with this that I could do with a bigger anvil and a forge (and swage blocks and ... ) but a surprisingly large number of small projects are possible with some effort.

Brian W Smith
01-31-2014, 8:49 AM
Looking up........"targeted",would be a major key to find.

For instance,gunsmithing tools.Which can be further broken down in groups.....Handguns,rifles,shotguns all require different appraoches,and different tools.Dent raising tools,along with fixturing for vent rib work....whilst indispensable in shotgun world,would probably not be on the list for handguns/rifles.

But,twds the OP....you CAN look at gunsmithing tools.They are some of the first....some very basic....and still a requirement today in most handwoking of metal,albeit in/on a small scale(size of parts....not size of the business).Jewelry would see some crossover with this...as would clock work/repair.

The above however....would be pretty far,size wise,from the equipment needed to do handwork on a 2 ton powerhammer,or old steam loco.Good lighting,decent bench....and,proper storage are obvious things that go along with your search.Best of luck.

Shawn Russell
01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Right now I am looking to build tools hand tools for woodworking and also survival gear: axe, knife, hooks. Most items I just want to build for the practice and also to help with hand eye coordination.

I sit in front of a computer for 8-10 hours a day and want to become more mechanically minded and at the same time do something creative.

My long term goal would be to build infill planes by hand. Not for sale but just for the sheer joy of knowing my hands built that.

Cheers

Ryan Mooney
01-31-2014, 11:11 AM
I've seen people built infills with no more tools than I have (add a vise or two to that list). My hats off to them, its amazing work :D

For making axe, etc.. you're basically looking at blacksmithing in various forms. There are a lot of great books out there - search the forum for "blacksmith books" and you'll get a lot of useful hints and pointers. If you can find a local mentor for something like that it will shave literally years off of your learning curve.

John Aspinall
01-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Mentally, I divide my metalworking tools into 3 top-level categories. A project might cross into more than one category, but many don't.

If I'm primarily cutting into bigger blocks of metal, if I have precision needs, then I'm in category 1: machining. Of course, the machines have a lot of related tooling, but my most commonly used hand tools are: files, taps for threading, layout tools like scribes and squares, calipers, transfer punches, hacksaw. Even if you don't have the main machines (lathe, mill), a drill press is essential here. Top of my wish list here: a nice inside micrometer set.

If I've got to bend heavy stuff, or squish it around, or join it without bolts, then I'm in category 2: welding and blacksmithing. Things get hot and dirty here, so it's separate. A blacksmith's leg vise (that is designed for pounding on) is often in use, also hammers, tongs, clamps and vise grips. I reach for a hand-held grinder often. Top of my wish list here: time to build a little propane forge.

Category 3: sheet metal, is separate because once the metal is thin enough to bend cold, all the processes change. Punches, snips, nibbler, rivet sets (also a pop-riveter) are in use here. I use the drill press here, but with a different set of drill bits. I don't have a bending brake, so I'm lusting after one of those little 3-way combo machines (brake, shear, roller).

Charles McKinley
02-01-2014, 12:26 AM
The number one tool is knowledge.
Dave Gingery Sheet Metal Technology. First projects are the tools to complete the other projects.
http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Metal-Technology-David-Gingery/dp/1878087304

Uncle Dave has a great way of making the complex understandable. See my sig line. I recommend anything from Gingery Press.

Paul Hasluk, Bent Iron Work, (I think this is available for free down load from google this was just one of the first hits that came up)
http://www.artisanideas.com/product/1559181842/Bent-Iron-Work-by-Paul-N.-Hasluck.html

If you can find an old Lindsay press catalog they are gold for book on this type of thing. I really miss that crazy old coot! If you find a catalog you will understand that statement.

Lee Valley : Farm Workshop Guide
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=55543&cat=1,46096,46109
Lots of WW II and slightly post war stuff on how to make do and repurpose things. These people put the "preppers" of today to shame! What is called prepping today was called LIFE back then. LV also carries several blacksmithing books.

If you will be working by hand only look for books on copper and aluminum work as well.

The google project copying the books that are out of copy-write has lots of material on this subject.

If you are to only learn one type of welding I would suggest Oxygen - Acetylene.

Here on the Creek look for post from Bob Smalser, George Wilson and Henry Strausil (Check spellings on all names please) These gentlemen do wonderful work in metal as well as wood and have been very generous with their knowledge. If you look for older books you will find better basic tool information because craftsmen basically could only afford the tools that made them money and had the CARRY them!

Also check out maker faire and Make magazine. Lots of people doing a lot with very little and some doing a little with a whole lot. It is very cool over all.

Tools
Good files (go to hand tool section several discussion on where to find decent new files)
properly sharpened cold chisel and hammer to drive it
heaviest Vice you can afford (go used)
drill and Good bits
improvised anvil (check the black smithing sites and avoid Anvil Shaped Objects (ASO))
A good tensioning hack saw with quality blades (put them in backwards so it cuts on the pull stroke)

HTH

Brian Thornock
02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I've built a few infill planes by hand, along with various other hand tools. I assume you are suggesting only hand tools for metalworking because you don't want to for out for metalworking machines. I can't blame you. I have a blog on making my infills with basic tools on LJ, but here is a basic rundown of the tools I used for a couple projects:

Infill planes:
hack saw
drill press
dremel (with a good carbide burr, it will make your life SO much easier)
flat file
half round file
ball pein hammer
vise
belt sander
sandpaper
scriber
ruler
flat scrap of granite
1/4x20 tap

Chisels/plane irons:
hack saw
flat file
honing guide
belt sander
sandpaper
MAPP gas torch w/quenching oil (just motor oil)

Marking knives:
Sandpaper
belt sander
jig saw blades (for the knife blade)

Marking gauge:
table saw
drill press
sandpaper

You can do a lot with very little. If you have a little extra money, then I recommend spending about $200 (or less used) for a 4x6" bandsaw with a bimetal blade, as it will save so much effort with the hack sawing. Also, if doing anything other than a trial run, precision ground steel is a huge time saver and well worth the extra cost (to me). I tried it once with the cheap stuff from HD, and sunk 7 hours of flattening and cutting where I could have just spent an extra $20 and saved all that time.

Charles McKinley
02-14-2014, 1:02 PM
Brian where do you buy your carbide burrs? Any particular brand you recommend?

Thanks