PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Super 18 Dovetail Jig vs. Leigh D4

Jim Gunter
01-30-2014, 3:43 PM
I need to start another project with dovetails for the house. I am not a production craftsman but do a fair amount of furniture. Up till now I had a cheap blind dovetail jig. (Junk man has it now)
Question is : The Super Jigs from Leigh specifically the 18" - are they good units ? At $389 they are not cheap but compared to the D4R Pro at $589 save $200. ( I know the D4R is 6" longer)
I can pick up a used D4 or D3 for $350 but they are only $40 lower than a new Super 18"
I just don't want to buy a cheaply built jig again.
Another small concern is the 18" is not available at most outlets at this time. Are they a problem, going out of production or so good they ran out ?
Thanks

Dennis McDonaugh
01-30-2014, 4:01 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I have never had a need to make a drawer over 12" tall and don't plan on making a dovetailed chest.

Bill Space
01-30-2014, 7:37 PM
I don't know most of the answers to your questions...but do know that I purchased a D4 off of Craigslist last year for $140. So maybe if you look around you can find a similar deal.

Naturally, if you need it quick...you will have to pay the price!

Tony Joyce
01-30-2014, 8:05 PM
I own and have used the Super 18 jig. It seems to be as well make and easier to use than an older D3 or D4 that I had borrowed from a friend. Be sure to get the vacuum attachment. If you don't need the width, you will not regret getting it.

Tony

Ray Newman
01-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Would a Keller jig work?

Very simple setup and robust construction. I have utilized it on the router table as well as clamped to the work bench.

http://www.kellerdovetail.com/

John Towns
01-31-2014, 6:13 AM
I own the Super 18. In fact, just this past weekend I used it to build 5 drawers and 1 box for my bathroom vanity. I have had it for a few years now. This jig easy to use and the dovetails are excellent, and the directions are well written and easy to follow. The CD that comes with the unit really helps. There are several YouTube videos of this unit as well. Like Tony, I also have the vacuum attachment which works very well and provides more stability for the router.

eugene thomas
01-31-2014, 6:57 AM
I think main difference in D4r and super is D4r has the two piece fingers Super they are not split. Anyway that's what got me to go D4r route.

Paul McGaha
01-31-2014, 7:55 AM
Not sure of how much of a hurry you're in Jim but you might watch the classified section here on the creek for a used one.

It seems to me that dovetail jigs (Leigh and Porter Cable) seem to come up for sale fairly regularly.

PHM

Mark Blatter
01-31-2014, 11:59 AM
I have had the D4 for about nine years and only had one problem. The fingers started to not hold in place ( I suppose I over tightened them) and I called Leigh and asked about it. They sent me, the same day, new pads for the fingers at no charge. This was last year, so I had owned and used the jig for eight years yet they still sent me the part to fix the problem. Every time I have had a question on the jig they have taken the time to answer them. Each time I talked with someone that knew the jig fully and had used it many times. No call centers or people reading from a script. Of course they had a Canadian accent, but I try not to hold that against them.

I do not think you would ever regret going with the D4. I bought it because of the 24" length and have used it a number of times (the extra 6"). Yes it is a bit pricey, but them service and quality costs.

Jim Gunter
01-31-2014, 1:48 PM
Thank you all for the information. I am not in a bind to make the dovetails yet as I could borrow my brothers Leigh 1600 if needed for the 6 drawers needed soon.
I have been watching the ebay and Craigs list around my area and see some D3 - D4 units in the $300+/- once in a while. Saw one here in the classified but had been sold.
Also saw an older model D-1258R-24 for $250 + shipping. Once adding the upgrade to a D4R it just dosen't seem to make sense.
Guess I'll keep looking for used while saving more $$ for the new