PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" thick strips/shims?

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
We're putting in a new bath & ceramic.
They recommend shimming the studs out 1/4" so the Hardi-backer fits down over the tile flange of the tub.

I'm open to any suggestions for some low cost premade shims or strips of some kind.

I can always rip some pieces from some 2x4's or 2x6's if I have to, but, it's really cold in the garage right now & I'd rather avoid having to clear out the area around the table saw if I can avoid it!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-30-2014, 11:47 AM
I had to do something similar in our shower install - it got to the point where time was more valuable than money, and I ended up just grabbing a bunch of 1/4" stock from the home center, and tacking it onto the studs. Not the cheapest option, but it was quick. I think I mis-calculated and ended up ripping some strips of thin oak with a handsaw for the last couple.

Assuming you're back to the studs, you could rabbet the studs, at least on one side. I also did this. Our shower install was a hassle. Nothing was flat, square, level or coplanar in that area of the house. Over a very tiny area, too . . .

Hardibacker is nice, but a pain to cut and install. Make sure you have a good driver, or the "magic touch" - my dad was perfect at sinking those screws to the perfect depth by spinning up the drill and using just the right speed and pressure. An impact driver probably would have helped, or just nail the darn stuff up. I kept stripping screws and leaving them proud. Eventually I gave up, and just predrilled and counter sunk the remainder of the backer that my father wasn't around to help put up.

Sam Murdoch
01-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Then there is Schluter - http://www.schluter.com I don't know why to use anything else these days except to save money at the expense of time and effort.

But that is not what you asked :) so to that question, why not a sheet of luan? It can be cut with a knife (sort of) so that you won't need the TS. Lay a 2x or the like over the luan and score deeply with a heavy blade - will break easily though a bit rough. As Joshua writes you could just apply the cheapest 1/4 sheet goods to the studs directly.

Lee Schierer
01-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Instead of 2 x 4's, rip some strips from a sheet of 1/4" underlayment or plywood. It is uniform thickness and low cost.

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2014, 12:29 PM
I'd thought of luan and/or underlayment.
I guess I could always set up the track saw in the driveway in between snows :D! Lol!

I was hoping for something already made though.
I'd thought of a piece of 4x8 lattice. That stuff is just tacked together and should be easy enough to tear apart.
Then I got to wondering how the treated would react to the Hardi fasteners? I'll have to look that up and see.

Sam-
I plan to use the Kerdi over the Hardi board.
Good stuff.

Pat Barry
01-30-2014, 12:29 PM
they have wooden lath material at most Menards, HD, etc. they are 1 1/2" by 1/4" thick

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Pat,
The lath I checked was a tad thicker than .25". It was something like .31".
It might be doable though.

Lee Schierer
01-30-2014, 6:05 PM
I'd thought of luan and/or underlayment.
I guess I could always set up the track saw in the driveway in between snows :D! Lol!

Since the strips will be hidden they don't have to be perfectly cut. Mark the cut line with a pencil and cut it by eye with a skill saw or Jig saw. If the edges vary, only the guy that remodels your bathroom the next time will see the wavy cuts. :)