PDA

View Full Version : Is it murder??

Dick Brown
01-30-2014, 10:32 AM
I have a nice little Dunlap lathe (Sears) built somewhere in the "40's" that I don't need. Had it on CL and got a call, talked a bit and he said he wanted it. He had to figure out when he could come get it. Talked a bit more and found out all he wanted was the tailstock to do something else with. Said he didn't work with wood. I worked around the shop the rest of the day and looked at the lathe very time I walked by. Just didn't seem right to "Kill" and send to he junk man a perfectly good 70 + year old tool for just one part! Called him up and backed out of the deal. Was I wrong??

david brum
01-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Good for you. Much better to sell or donate it to someone just getting started in turning. Its always a shame to see a functional machine getting scrapped.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Interesting question Dick. I'd have done the same thing probably, but we are all probably driving around in cars that contain little bits of Tannewitz, Wadkin and Oliver machines of the past. Mixed feelings on that for sure. Rationally, it's ridiculous, but tools tend to develop characters, and emotion starts to creep in.

Herr Dalbergia
01-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Your question, if this was wrong or not, can be answered both ways. Only you have the right to, and you have to, make the decicion. If I would be you, I would have done the same.

cheers, alex

Rich Riddle
01-30-2014, 11:10 AM
I never cannibalize a perfectly good tool. There will be someone who wants the tool, not one part. He can find a tail stock anywhere. You might try advertising in here or OWWM.

John Downey
01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Murder? No, but that doesn't mean it's the best use of the machine. If it matters to you, as others said, dispose of it in a way that will ensure use.

I can't figure for what use a guy would want a tail stock that badly. It's easy enough to make something similar, and a lot cheaper as well. Personally I wouldn't have much trouble with it if I thought the guy was doing something sensible. But I doubt I would sell it to him if I though he was just wasting his time and money and a perfectly good machine.

Mikhail Lermontov
01-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Machines have characters, souls, sentimental values, bla bla... Want to sell and get a good deal sell it. If it's worth to sell a machine apart sell it apart.

Larry Fox
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a bit of endowment bias creeping into your decision making to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect

If I post something on CL, I post it at a price I am willing to sell it at and if we strike a deal and someone buys it, it is theirs to do with as they please. That said, I have never sold a pet or other living creature on CL but I would definitely apply a different standard in that case.

Lloyd McKinlay
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Good for you, I never have been a fan of destroying or throwing away perfectly good items. Now for the shameless plug, I'm casually looking for a simple lathe. Send me a PM with details and location if you wish.

Kelly Craig
01-30-2014, 1:21 PM
First, it's yours to with as you wish. Further, there was no contract (no money changed hands solidifying the deal). He didn't even have to show up and waste any real time.

That said, I don't blame you. If I'm offering a good deal, it's my right to place stipulations on it, as I see fit.

Talking with a guy, he rambled on about wanting to get into wood work, at the hobby level. To get him started, I gave him old Delta scroll saw, my Craftsman band saw and my ten inch radial arm. All were in good condition. Over the course of a few months, I'd ask him if he was using them. He admitted he hadn't so much as turned any of them on, then started talking about selling them and what he could get for them on craigslist.

I could have sold the things and bought a new toy for my shop, but was being nice and gave them to him to get him going. Instead of offering them back, he did sell them. They were his to do with as he wished, but it's also my right to run my life as I wished. To that point, I paid him well for assistance, bought him tools (cordless and other) and so forth. That was his final act before I fired him (he'd held himself out as knowledgeable, but wasn't and I had to secure cripple framing, as we were getting ready to install sheet rock, secure support posts and so on). I fired him.

I've met a lot of people whose greed made them stupid. For example, another guy told me he had a custom grill, which would fit my truck. However, over the course of a year, it never materialized and he always had an excuse for not being able to produce it. Finally, I told him a fact of life: "You've confused kindness with stupidity. You think you're smart because you conned me for $150.00, but that's all you'll ever get. In ripping me off, I'll never be there for you again. All the help like you got in the past will not be there, so you gave up much for a little. Who is the stupid one?" Oh, and he did come to me for help in the future, but all he got was a reminder of what his greed cost him.

Oh well

Bill Space
01-30-2014, 2:01 PM
You ask a difficult question!

Seems like we all would like things to go the way we think they should. But the other guy may think differently. If we grow too attached to things that we own, then there is only one answer: Keep them forever. Forever being until the next guy makes the decision.

Sooooo.... at the end of the day, I can emphasize with your feelings. But when we don't need a tool anymore, we probably should just set a price and let it go at that price, regardless of what the new owner desires to do with it.

In the end, that is likely what will likely happen anyway...if we keep the tool till we end....

Myk Rian
01-30-2014, 2:28 PM
The only machines I have parted out were an old C-man table saw, and 6" jointer.
They weren't worth keeping, or fixing up.
The jointer occupies space in my truck as weight.

Phil Thien
01-30-2014, 2:52 PM
What was the buyer planning on doing with it? Any idea?

Just curious.

James B Green
01-30-2014, 3:05 PM
Ask yourself this question: What would you have done if the buyer countered with 2x, 3x, 10x…… your price? At some point you lose the attachment.

Peter Quinn
01-30-2014, 3:15 PM
I would have done the same as you. It's an insult to the men who made the tool and a disservice to those who might use it in the future. Not everything in life is a disposable napkin or microwave dinner packaging. Better you find a young turner with more will than money and keep it whole. Bravo to you for valuing something above the all mighty dollar.

Art Mann
01-30-2014, 3:20 PM
I would like to see a picture of this beloved machine. I love old machines if they are well made.

Dick Brown
01-30-2014, 4:13 PM
It isn't that I had any real bond with this lathe. Bought it at a yard sale. Never had it set up and running. The point of the thing is, do we see a unit that is complete and workable less motor and also a bit of a classic ruined for just a part? As far as the monetary side of it, I would have had a very nice return (2-1/2 times) on my investment so that part of the deal was not an issue. Interesting responses and from what side others look at the picture.

Dick

Kelly Craig
02-22-2014, 2:14 PM
That's a good point James. I kinda miss my first-born, but, hey, the prices was right, so let me tell you about my new tool.

allen long
02-24-2014, 11:38 PM
It is entirely possible that the person wanted it for art or sculpture. Many older machines have really cool looking parts. That said, I might have done the same as you did.

Michael Mahan
02-25-2014, 12:37 AM
what you did do is teach the guy to keep his mouth shut on his intentions going forward . had he said nothing you'd have extra space in the shop & a fatter wallet .
Me I'd done the same as you & kept it .
I've seen a guy buy , then take a part off & leave , which made matters worse as then I had a useless junk that nobody wanted .
learned a valuable lesson that day , now they must leave with the item no messing with it at my place .

Dick Brown
02-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Just an update. Wanted to post pictures but can't get the uploader to work???? Looked at the old lathe, cleaned it all up, painted it, dug out an old Craftsman motor, did same to it, fixed start switch, built steel framed table with hardwood top, Turned a few things and it worked great. put it on CL, guy came, looked and bought it. I had just bought a Craftsman table saw the night before without a motor but with a nice Shop fox fence. I said to the new lathe owner and his son, how about helping me unload the saw while you are here? They did, looked it over and said get it up and running and we will buy it also. They are now working wood on both units, I had the satisfaction of seeing happy woodworkers united with very usable old iron, and made maybe $5.00 an hr. for my time!!! Life is good.