PDA

View Full Version : Profiled Tormek stone

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Do these exist? I'm working on a stack of wood planes and a few gouges, some in pretty ugly shape, and a profiled stone would be handy I think.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-30-2014, 9:09 AM
I think they only come flat.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Dennis, judging by the 101 views of this thread and one response, I think you are probably right. If the dang wheels weren't so expensive, I'd consider modifying one. At $180 per wheel, its a pricey experiment.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-30-2014, 11:54 AM
No kidding Steve, I thought I wanted to buy a different grit wheel until saw the cost and compared it to how much I've ground off mine in ten years. It'll take me three lifetimes to use up the one I have!

Izzy Camire
01-30-2014, 3:02 PM
You may want to call Sharp Tools USA and speak to Jeff he knows all about the Tormek.
http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2014, 11:23 PM
I'll try Sharp Tools tomorrow, hopefully. Thanks for the lead Izzy. Worked 6 more of them through tonight, my system needs some refining. I have the profiled strop wheel, which in tandem with wet dry and a dowel polishes the ones that don't need reground, but the ones that are in need of reshaping...

I have 8 done now, leaves 47 to do, according to my kiddo. Faster would be great.

bill tindall
01-31-2014, 8:10 AM
Why don't you use a bench grinder. Wheels are cheap and easily profiled. With the proper grit choice and wheel bond hardness you can grind anything you need to.

John Piwaron
01-31-2014, 8:49 AM
Tormek has attachments for just about every hand held cutting tool - scissors, gouges, chisels, etc. Isn't one of them o.k.?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-31-2014, 9:19 AM
Why don't you use a bench grinder. Wheels are cheap and easily profiled. With the proper grit choice and wheel bond hardness you can grind anything you need to.

Thought about it Bill, but it's really not much that needs to come off. I actually have a grinding wheel I can chuck in the lathe to slow it down, but I wonder how to shape the wheel? Any ideas?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-31-2014, 9:22 AM
Tormek has attachments for just about every hand held cutting tool - scissors, gouges, chisels, etc. Isn't one of them o.k.?

Oh yeah, Tormek has really figured out how to sell jigs. I think I have most of them, but...

Concave profiles are the problem. Convex is easy with a jig, but it's just not possible to get a flat stone to work on concave. Throw in a side bead or a hollow plane, and you have a challenge.

John Coloccia
01-31-2014, 9:29 AM
A profiled stone would be useless after a minute of use. That Tormek stone is not very hard at all.

John Piwaron
01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
A profiled stone would be useless after a minute of use. That Tormek stone is not very hard at all.

Don't other manufacturer's offer stones to fit the Tormek machines? If so, maybe one of them is made of harder stuff. And maybe costs less.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-31-2014, 4:52 PM

They are soft, but I'm not using a jig on these particular blades, freehand work instead. If curved blade would keep the wear curved at least I'd think, and because it's freehand, I could move the blade to the best spot on the wheel. At least thats what I was thinking.

John Coloccia
01-31-2014, 6:46 PM
Maybe you can just shape the edge of the stone, then? The stone turns pretty slowly...you'd need to have a bit of a steady hand to shape it properly. Calling George Wilson. How do you do this sort of thing?