PDA

View Full Version : Makita Table Saw

David M Anderson
01-29-2014, 7:03 PM
Came across this deal on Craig list, double check with the seller and he did say it was a ten inch, but I did not verify
the model number.

Ad reads:
Makita Model 2702 10" table saw with fence, miter gauge, blade guard, table extensions and cross cut box....100 dollars.

He may off got the Model number wrong in the ad, either way it will fit my needs for now.
Does anyone know of this particular saw..off hand..?

Rich Riddle
01-29-2014, 8:21 PM
The current model of that saw is the 2705 and retails for about five hundred dollars, over eight hundred with the cart. It's a job site saw and works well for that application. It won't replace a cabinet saw or even a contractor saw, but it's much better than the lesser quality saws, like Ryobi, on the market. For that price, it's a steal. Almost bought the Makita and cart but the Bosch counterpart went on sale.

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2014, 8:08 AM
IIRC - the miter slot on the Makita job site saws isn't a standard 3/4".
That puts a real limit on things you can do with it.

I believe also the correct model number for the ten inch is the 2703.

I looked at one of those years ago and went with a Hitachi job site instead simple because the Hitachi was half the price.
After looking at all the reviews of both, neither were well regarded.

Peter Quinn
01-30-2014, 10:15 AM
I have an older 8" version as a jobsite portable. Motor turns, fence squares up, I bought it well used for $80 or so and it continues to function. The tables are small, fences short, it is what it is, a job site portable. Invaluable for making light cuts for moldings, shims, blocking, flooring, etc. Not my go to for heavy cuts in hardwood. At that price if it works and it's whAt you need it's a good value. If your a hobbiest getting into cabinets or furniture projects, it will be a struggle to get acceptable results with jobsite saw, it will require considerable will to make it happen.

David M Anderson
01-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the input.

The saw turned out to be a 2703, what I figured and in pretty good shape.

The miter attachment is a joke, but who had it before made it a little better.

I can see having problems with the blade guard, not the best design in the world.

The fence, again "Makita, really" will do, just have to be aware of it's limitations.

I do have a nice 12" miter saw, so cutting miters on the table saw is not a factor with me.
And on the positive side, it did come with two wings for a table extension, hand made but they look sturdy.

My problem is space and just bought this double wide a fixer-upper, so the price was right in my ball park.
And a saw is better than no saw..:)

Dennis McDonaugh
01-30-2014, 11:59 AM
The current model of that saw is the 2705 and retails for about five hundred dollars, over eight hundred with the cart. It's a job site saw and works well for that application. It won't replace a cabinet saw or even a contractor saw, but it's much better than the lesser quality saws, like Ryobi, on the market. For that price, it's a steal. Almost bought the Makita and cart but the Bosch counterpart went on sale.

I had to buy a job site saw last summer to finish the inside of the house we were building and went with the Ryobi. It killed me to spend $$ on a portable saw when I had a cabinet saw in storage, but you do what you have to do. I put a good blade on the Ryobi and it cut lots of trim and hardwood flooring without a whimper. The tilt mechanism is a joke and it doesn't look really durable being its 90 percent plastic, but it also came with a built in stand and sliding table and a pretty good dust collection port.

Pat Barry
01-30-2014, 1:21 PM
Thanks for the input.

The saw turned out to be a 2703, what I figured and in pretty good shape.

The miter attachment is a joke, but who had it before made it a little better.

I can see having problems with the blade guard, not the best design in the world.

The fence, again "Makita, really" will do, just have to be aware of it's limitations.

I do have a nice 12" miter saw, so cutting miters on the table saw is not a factor with me.
And on the positive side, it did come with two wings for a table extension, hand made but they look sturdy.

My problem is space and just bought this double wide a fixer-upper, so the price was right in my ball park.
And a saw is better than no saw..:)

That's a great little machine for the price. It should serve you well for many purposes. I had an old Menards saw (no where near the quality of the Makita you got) for years. It looks like you have a nice little cross-cut sled for it to.

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2014, 3:51 PM
My problem is space and just bought this double wide a fixer-upper, so the price was right in my ball park
Don't you just love old doors!?!?
:D
LOL!
Sometimes I wonder if I buy fixer up real estate simply so I can get a couple of old doors to use as work surfaces!

I have to ask though.
Is there some particular reason for leaving the knobs on?

David M Anderson
01-30-2014, 6:04 PM
Don't you just love old doors!?!?
:D
LOL!
Sometimes I wonder if I buy fixer up real estate simply so I can get a couple of old doors to use as work surfaces!

I have to ask though.
Is there some particular reason for leaving the knobs on?

Lol, yep.

Just did not get around to take them off.

Buying the saw force me to refinish the old doors instead of buying new ones..;)

David M Anderson
02-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Ok been looking at this attachment for the TS

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2006526/19555/rousseau-portamax-jr-table-saw-table-top-and-fence-system-model-2600.aspx

Is this a recommended upgrade...?