PDA

View Full Version : Joined The Festool Fanatics

Mike Hollis
01-29-2014, 6:47 PM
Well,

I have been out of woodworking for awhile, but getting back into it. I bought a SawStop Contractors Saw late in 2012, and have used it a few times now. So I joined this forum awhile ago to reacquaint myself and learn from all of the pros that hang out here. So the wife decided it was time to finally build her a bed (been going without for about 3 years or so). So we decided to build it out of a 36" 8-panel solid fir door for the headboard, and 32" for the footboard. Decided that domino's would be the best way to join 4x4 posts to the doors so we made a trip to the local Woodcraft today.

Came away with the TS55 tracksaw setup, XL700 domino cutter and the accessory kit, CT36 dust extractor, a finish sander, and about $3K poorer. I can't wait to put these things into use, but I have to finish designing the bed using Sketchup first.

Derek Arita
01-29-2014, 7:08 PM
Well,

I have been out of woodworking for awhile, but getting back into it. I bought a SawStop Contractors Saw late in 2012, and have used it a few times now. So I joined this forum awhile ago to reacquaint myself and learn from all of the pros that hang out here. So the wife decided it was time to finally build her a bed (been going without for about 3 years or so). So we decided to build it out of a 36" 8-panel solid fir door for the headboard, and 32" for the footboard. Decided that domino's would be the best way to join 4x4 posts to the doors so we made a trip to the local Woodcraft today.

Came away with the TS55 tracksaw setup, XL700 domino cutter and the accessory kit, CT36 dust extractor, a finish sander, and about $3K poorer. I can't wait to put these things into use, but I have to finish designing the bed using Sketchup first.
Congrats Mike! Welcome to the club. Festools are great tools and you'll learn to love them. Be aware, just as with any new tool, there are learning curves, however the Festool Owners Group will give you lots of info and you'll learn a lot there. Enjoy!

Mike Hollis
01-29-2014, 7:12 PM
Is the Festool Owners Group a sub of this forum, or a separate site?

Thanks,

Mike

Rich Riddle
01-29-2014, 8:27 PM
Is the Festool Owners Group a sub of this forum, or a separate site?

Thanks,

Mike
It's a separate site.

Bill McNiel
01-29-2014, 9:45 PM
mike,
Welcome back to woodworking. Watch yourself on FOG, those people are deeply emersed in green kool-aid. You will love the track saw, can't believe how much I use it. Which sander did you get?

Mike Hollis
01-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the advice Bill, I ended up with the TS400EQ finish sander.

Bill McNiel
01-29-2014, 10:17 PM
I have the DTS 400 EQ, RS 2 E and ETS 125 EQ. Love them all with the exception that Festool could have made the bases of the RTS and DTS 400s interchangable (the front mounting screws don't line up. Love the dust collection as well (reduce the suction level on the extractor to less than 50% to eliminate the sander sucking itself to the project).

Dave Verstraete
01-30-2014, 8:10 AM
Speaking of suction...How did it feel when the wallet was sucked from your back pocket into the cash register. :D On the other hand, if you buy a GOOD tool you only cry once. Congrats

Mikhail Lermontov
01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
For 3k you could have bought Leight FMT Pro, Jessem Dowels jig, and bunch of other great tools.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2014, 7:08 PM
Good for you Mike, those are nice tools that you'll enjoy using...................Rod.

Bill Space
01-30-2014, 7:44 PM
Hi,

I read your post earlier and thought good for you! And I still do....

But then I remembered that for about the same price (actually a bit less probably) I got my Grizzly 5HP cabinet saw with router table extension and a Grizzly 8" jointer with long bed and spiral cutter head!

Given the choice...and it may not be comparable, I realize that...I think I would still have went the way I did.

But we all have different needs.... Glad you are happy with your new tools!

Robyn Horton
01-30-2014, 9:02 PM
Mike There is some good information at the Festool site in the link for your track saw . I recently purchased a Dewalt track saw and this is where the best information was for starting the first cut .
you my have to cut and paste the link...

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-how-to/trimming-the-guide-rail-splinter-guard-with-a-ts75/