PDA

View Full Version : Sander Advice

sebastian phillips
01-29-2014, 5:46 PM
Hello, looking to get some advice for a palm sander that can be comfortably operated with one hand, while still having good dust collection. I am primarily a cabinet/millwork installer who occasionally does built-ins.
Currently, when I have face frames or doors to sand after glue-up, I use a 6" Rotex in random orbit mode. I love this machine, and especially the dust pick up. However, I always clamp what I am sanding and use two hands on the machine. I also have a 5" Bosch that is a dust bowl.
When joints just need a quick pass, I would like a machine that I can easily run one handed (skipping the clamping), that will get dust at the same level as the Rotex.
Thanks for any advice.
Seb

William C Rogers
01-29-2014, 6:35 PM
Well, if you want to spend the money ($500) the Mirka Ceros is the answer. About 2 lbs shaped like a pneumatic and excellent dust collection. I really like mine and use it for all my sanding.

sebastian phillips
01-29-2014, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the reply William. Looked at the Mirka quickly online, and no on a has a bad word about it. Do you like the paddle on top of the tool, and do you use the Mirka paper? Probably something I should get sooner than later, wish there was a dealer near me.
Seb

Michael W. Clark
01-29-2014, 9:21 PM
I have a Festool DTS 400 and it works great on narrow face frames and edges. Not great on large panels, but that's what the 6" Rotex is for.

Scott T Smith
01-29-2014, 9:57 PM
If you already have the Rotex and CTS dust collection, consider the Festool ETC 150/3. It's a great, low vibration sander and it will complement your Rotex. Plus, you can use the same sandpaper on both.

Bill McNiel
01-29-2014, 9:58 PM
I have the Festool 125 (5"). Very little vibration, great dust collection and love the ability to set it down right right now. Also have the 400 and the half sheet sanders.

Joe Samorodin
01-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Mirka! the Festools don't leave the drawer. I use the 6 inch for face frames as well as table tops and in my opinion grit to grit leaves a better finish then Festool

William C Rogers
01-30-2014, 5:09 AM
Thanks for the reply William. Looked at the Mirka quickly online, and no on a has a bad word about it. Do you like the paddle on top of the tool, and do you use the Mirka paper? Probably something I should get sooner than later, wish there was a dealer near me.
Seb

The answer is yes, I do use the Mirca Abranet paper. Note you need to buy the sacrificial pads as using this paper will wear out the hook and loop quicker than normal hook and loop paper. You can get a 5 pack for about $30. I actually like the paddle better, but was wondering the same as you when I bought it. I honestly do not see any visible dust when using this sander. I bought mine from Acme Tools as they offered free shipping and no tax for me. It is another one of those tools that is never on "sale".

Bill

sebastian phillips
01-30-2014, 7:04 AM
Sounds good William, how long does a sacrificial pad typically last, sand face frames and such?
Seb

sebastian phillips
01-30-2014, 7:06 AM
Hi Scott, the idea of the ETC 150 is appealing, particularly sharing paper w/ the rotex. Is the ETC a true "one handed machine" for quickly flushing up joints and such?
Thanks,
Seb

keith micinski
01-30-2014, 8:13 AM
Not to hijack the thread but having never used one of these high end sanders are they really worth 3-500 more then your of the shelf random orbital all of the regular tool companies make? I know dust collection is a lot better but as far as perfromance are they that much better?

John Coloccia
01-30-2014, 8:20 AM
Not to hijack the thread but having never used one of these high end sanders are they really worth 3-500 more then your of the shelf random orbital all of the regular tool companies make? I know dust collection is a lot better but as far as perfromance are they that much better?

Yes, and they're especially better if you're using them enough to burn out motors. Without naming brands, a lot of pros trash 3 or 4 sanders a year. They switch to Festool or Mirka, and you never hear from them again.

Mirka Ceros is THE sander to beat right now, IMHO.

keith micinski
01-30-2014, 8:37 AM
Ok thanks. I must not use my old Makita enough because it's 12 or 13 years old.

Scott T Smith
01-30-2014, 9:11 AM
Hi Scott, the idea of the ETC 150 is appealing, particularly sharing paper w/ the rotex. Is the ETC a true "one handed machine" for quickly flushing up joints and such?
Thanks,
Seb

Seb, the ETS 150 is indeed a one handed machine. It is incredibly smooth and my personal favorite sander.

I have not personally used the Mirka sanders, but a lot of very knowledgeable folks sing their praises. If I were you, I'd give both models a try and see which one will be best for you.

John Coloccia
01-30-2014, 9:36 AM
Ok thanks. I must not use my old Makita enough because it's 12 or 13 years old.

There are cabinet/mill shops around here that have guys sanding pretty much all day long. They trash the popular, off the shelf sanders in 3 or 4 months. It didn't used to be like that. Quality has gone through the floor on some of these newer sanders. That older Makita of yours may go for a long time, just like my old, made in Tennessee, PC 690 router just keep going and going and going.

William C Rogers
01-30-2014, 9:44 AM
As far as the sacrificial pad life,
I don't know, I am still on my first pad still holding strong guessing about 40-50 sheets of Mirca that last at least twice, maybe 3 times as long as regular disks.

William C Rogers
01-30-2014, 10:13 AM
One thing to consider is the Mirca is about 2 pounds vs the weight of other palm sanders. That is what makes this a one hand sander for a longer period of time. The power cord is slightly heavier, but it is easy to use one handed and I really like the paddle switch. Since it is a DC motor you have a power supply, but mine just stays with the vac and not really an issue. The only real disadvantage is the steep price. It think the systainer will fit the Festool vacs, however the color match ( Mirca yellow ) might be too much to handle. The Mirca hose is a screw in connection to the sander and I do not know if other hoses will fit.

Sam Murdoch
01-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Seb, the ETS 150 is indeed a one handed machine. It is incredibly smooth and my personal favorite sander.

I have not personally used the Mirka sanders, but a lot of very knowledgeable folks sing their praises. If I were you, I'd give both models a try and see which one will be best for you.

I agree nearly completely with this comment - the one qualifier is about the one handedness of the ETS150 - yes and no I would say. Depends on the size of your hands. Large or EX large OK - smaller than that and I would say that one handed is fine for bench work on panels but for in the field install type work, especially for vertical work such as on face frames or door casings, The ETS150 is more than a one hand machine.

I really really like ETS150/3 and have never found the size to be a deal breaker but if I were looking to replace I would most definitely consider the Mirka Ceros.
For those who can't believe there is an appreciable difference between these sanders and the others I can only say - try one through a project. I was skeptical too but no longer.

sebastian phillips
01-30-2014, 5:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info, guess I'll have to try the Mirka & the Ets 150, and then spend some money-an investment in quality, production, and comfort.
Seb