PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove this window?

Praki Prakash
01-29-2014, 1:58 PM
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this question but I did see previous postings on doors and windows here.

I have this single-pane glass window and my dog managed to destroy the lower panel. A piece of particle board is its place. I would like to remove the window and have it repaired and put it back. I am a complete newbie when it comes to carpentry but quite handy with woodworking. My question is, should I attempt to remove the window from the outside or inside? If removal from outside is the right thing, should I pry the small white trip to expose the nailing flange and cut the nails?

Thought I would ask the experts here before starting. Photos attached below and all help/hint appreciated.

Ted Calver
01-29-2014, 3:14 PM
Praki,
Certainly not an expert. It's hard to tell from the pictures how the panel was installed. Do you live in a cold climate? It seems unusual to have a large single panel stained glass installed without some protection from the elements. If you can figure out which side it was installed from, then removing the molding holding it in should enable you to pop it out and have it repaired.

George Bokros
01-29-2014, 3:35 PM
I am not a builder but have had a house custom built and saw my parents house built so I am fairly certain that this would be correct. If that is an exterior wall I would hope the window was installed from the outside and it has some sort of nailing flange or flashing to keep moisture out. That being said you would have to remove the exterior siding, brick or what ever the outside face is to remove the nails from the nailing flange to remove the window.

George

Jerome Stanek
01-29-2014, 4:00 PM
It looks like you could remove the 1/4 round and pull the sash out and take it to be repaired

Wayne Lovell
01-29-2014, 4:04 PM
At 71 I have finally figured out that there are a lot of times when it is better and cheaper to hire someone who knows what he is doing and has the proper tools.

phil harold
01-29-2014, 6:19 PM
is it a metal sash on the outside?
if so it may come out that way

need better pictures

a little investigation with a putty knife and/or sheetrock knife with skilled hands will give you a definitive answer

Charles Coolidge
01-29-2014, 7:40 PM
Makita Sawsall

Lee Schierer
01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
I have basement windows with a similar type of frame. The beveled aluminum strips shown in the second photo around the edge of the window come out of the frame. Carefully slip a knife under between the aluminum and glass where the glass is broken out at the bottom of the window. Slide the knife to the corner and prop up the aluminum strip with a tooth pick. Do the same on the other end of the same strip. Then with the knife pry the aluminum strip away from the border frame once you have a small gap work the aluminum out with a putty knife. Once the first strip is out the others will be easier. Be careful not to bend the aluminum strips so they can be reused when the glass is repaired.

Ira Matheny
01-30-2014, 9:26 PM
I cannot determine the attachment of the window to the casement. Were a discover completed that did reveal that attachment, then this removal and re-install procedures will change.

However, I will describe the Worst Case Scenario, as i see it.
Remove both inner and outer casing or 'Trim'. Using a saw-zall with a long blade [or similar tool] cut loose all nails/screws holding the casement [with window attached]. Remove the complete window with casement attached.

Once removed, you will need to remove the window from the original casement and arrange repair/replacement. When completed, build a new casement that will allow the window to slide into position. Then use stops nailed into position on both inner and outer sides of the window to hold the window into position. Install new trim casing both sides of the new casement. Caulk and paint/finish.

Praki Prakash
02-05-2014, 1:33 PM
Sorry for going silent. I still haven't tried any of the suggestions posted but did want to answer a few questions raised.

The house is in northern California and the window is one of the two original single-pane windows on the house. We like the looks of these windows and decided to keep them for now.

I think Lee's suggestion might work in my case. The somewhat bluish/greyish bevel around the frame is plastic and looks removable with a putty knife. I plan to attempt it soon and see what that reveals.

I am attaching closeup photos of one of the corners from inside and outside. If anybody has any new ideas from these pictures, please reply.

Thanks

Dan Hintz
02-05-2014, 3:16 PM
On that second photo, it looks like you could pull out the strips touching the window and the window would slide out that direction.