PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found in an Ambrosia log

John Hart
06-14-2005, 9:23 PM
Over the weekend at the sawmill, I spotted a maple log that had been sawn square, showing off some ambrosia. The price was right so I bought it. I thought I'd share what this looks like on the inside. I got a total of 12 blanks out of that one piece so I stole 2 of them for m'self and I'll sell the rest. I sure hope I don't goof these up!!

These pictures aren't too great.... I think they show the grain...just not very good on the colors.

Raymond Overman
06-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Looks like lots of potential there John. I'll look forward to seeing the final product.

I've got a maple in the front yard that I'm just itching to take. I wonder if it has any of that in it.

Ed Scolforo
06-15-2005, 7:59 AM
Nice find, John!
Ed

Jeff Sudmeier
06-15-2005, 8:36 AM
John,

that is a great find!! Congrats on the haul and let us know what it looks like when you are done.

Jim Becker
06-15-2005, 9:51 AM
John, be sure to try turning some of those blanks end-grain, especially if you're doing hollow vessels. The hollowing will be easier (with hollowing scrapers, of course) and the effect on the outside will be different. It also keeps the pith on the axis of the turning which again, alters the effect.

John Hart
06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
John, be sure to try turning some of those blanks end-grain, especially if you're doing hollow vessels. The hollowing will be easier (with hollowing scrapers, of course) and the effect on the outside will be different. It also keeps the pith on the axis of the turning which again, alters the effect.

Yep thanks Jim...that was my intent. That's why I took two blanks...I figured that I'd turn one of each and see the effect on similar pieces of wood.

To everyone: I'll be sure to post pictures of both finished pieces....even if I annihilate them!!:eek: