PDA

View Full Version : Saw file recommendation

Jeff Heath
01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
I thought that I had a lifetime supply of saw files when I purchased several boxes of NOS files that were available to me. Since getting into the planemaking game, and also using my hand saws a lot more than I used to, my once-a-year sharpening routine has increased exponentially, especially for 6 XXS file use on my plane floats.

Can I please get a recommendation or two for quality saw file maker(s) that you fine folks are happy with? The newer Nicholson's are absolute garbage compared to the old one's I have been using for years. I only have a few left.

Thanks in advance.

David Weaver
01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Bahco, without a doubt. Very accurately made and durable.

Grobet swiss for the tiny sizes not available from bahco.

Bahcos are cheapest from some place called auto tool world or something. They are just drop shipped and come from Williams.

Mike Allen1010
01-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Bahco, without a doubt. Very accurately made and durable.

Grobet swiss for the tiny sizes not available from bahco.

Bahcos are cheapest from some place called auto tool world or something. They are just drop shipped and come from Williams.

+ 1 to David's suggestions. The Swiss Grobet's are good quality but pricey compared to the Bahco's.

Jeff Heath
01-29-2014, 1:34 PM
Thanks, fella's, for the help. I have 2 Swiss Grobet files for my 15 tpi backsaw, so I'm glad those are highly thought of. I will check out the Bahco's. I also need to find a new file for sharpening my auger's. Thought's there?? The one I have isn't made anymore.

Jeff Heath
01-29-2014, 1:50 PM
I found the Bahco files at www.toolsdelivered.com for what I consider to be acceptable pricing. Thanks again.

Sean Hughto
01-29-2014, 1:55 PM
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-AUG

Jeff Heath
01-29-2014, 7:05 PM
Thanks. I went there, and I don't know how I missed it. Senior moment, and I'm not a senior yet.