PDA

View Full Version : (pic) How old is the oldest axe handle you have on an axe?

Andy Pratt
01-29-2014, 1:38 AM
Talking about working axes here, used every year at least, with handles still holding up like they were new.

Mine is on a 2lb snow&neally hudson bay axe that I use camping each year. I fitted the handle to it (factory handle that I re-sized the head on) and dated it in 2001. I'm sure that's not the oldest around, but the way it is holding up I expect it to be a record holder in a few decades. My double-bit axe is from 2002 and has never needed tweaking. I give them a light sanding and linseed every year or two and keep linseed sealed in a plug in the ends that I replenish every five years or so, nothing else. As a disclaimer I only give these two real use for about a week or two a year all told.

I did the wedge-extending-above-the-head thing on both axes, with cross wedges keeping the fit tight front to back where it gets the most wear. I had to tighten them a year or two after I made it on the S&N but it has been perfect since.

Lee Schierer
01-29-2014, 7:49 AM
I have a double bitted axe that is at least 50 years old with the original handle. However, it doesn't see much use any more. I use my chain saw. Less exercise, but much quicker.

Jim Matthews
01-29-2014, 6:30 PM
My Helko has the classic handle.

I limb and split with it.
At 4 years, it's the longest surviving original.

My Wetterlings maul handle failed at 6 months.

Rich Riddle
01-29-2014, 6:39 PM
Grandfather Renee's ax is in the garage with the original handle. He died in 1984 and his children remember it when they were small, so likely about 70+ years. That said, it gets extremely limited use back when he owned it or now.

Ryan Mooney
01-29-2014, 6:58 PM
A year or so ago I finally replaced the handle on the axe I got from grandpa when it finally gave out. The original handle pre-dates me somewhat (if the history is right he got it somewhere around or maybe just prior to 1970) so somewhere around 40+ years. By the time I got it there was a fair bit of fiberglass and twine holding critical bits near the head together so failure wasn't entirely unexpected. It was fairly heavily used as a saddle and camp axe for its first 20 or so years of life. The head is still in great shape and the handle was a NOS of the same design in good shape and nice grain so I didn't feel to bad about it.

My other tools, one axe was bought in late 95 with still the original handle. I have some rakes, etc.. with handles of a similar age. Some of the older tools I've picked up from yard/estate sales I have no idea, at least one scythe is probably older than that but I don't have an obvious way to date it.

Ron Kellison
01-29-2014, 8:04 PM
I grew up in WVa. During the 1950s my Grandfather lived with us. He had a double-bitted axe that he said he had won in a poker game 50 years before. He didn't treat it very well but he said something once that I've always remembered: "That axe has had two heads and four handles but it's the best damned axe I've ever owned!"

Ron

Pat Barry
01-29-2014, 8:15 PM
I've got an old, large hatchet with its original handle and it has to be 60+ years. I can't say it gets used all that much, but I know its been abused a bunch.