PDA

View Full Version : A little more Turning Time

Kathy Marshall
01-28-2014, 9:58 PM
I found a little more time for turning during the last week, and managed to get 2 pieces finished.

The 1st is a little bowl turned from a cube, mounted on the bias (corners at the head and tail stock).
It's claro walnut and it's about 5" across and 2 1/2" tall at the corners with a round bottom.
The inside was finished with Danish oil and wipe on poly. Just for something a little different, I dyed the outside (which is not apparent in the pics). I started with purple, then sanded back and went over it with yellow. It ended with the darker areas being a nice, rich brown and the lighter areas something like a light avocado green.
The pics just make it look black, a shot in sunlight would show the true colors (maybe I'll try that this weekend).

The 2nd is a plate from what was left of an 8/4 Bubinga board.
It's 10 1/4" x 1 1/4", finished with Danish oil and wipe on poly, with the rim dyed. For the rim, I 1st dyed it black, then sanded back, then dyed red and then sanded back again. These pics also don't show the true color very well, but it's like a brick red that's a little more on the brownish side. It complements the color of the bubinga and also gives a nice contrast.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques welcome.

Dok Yager
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Nice Kathy! I really like the cube bowl. But I like all the unusual shapes and hard projects. That Bubinga is just so beautiful of a wood anything done with it I like.

Dennis Ford
01-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Both have really nice details, love the texture on the 3 corner bowl.

Thom Sturgill
01-29-2014, 7:18 AM
Kathy, as always your work is exquisite. I love both pieces, excellent form and finish!

Michelle Rich
01-29-2014, 8:21 AM
like the first one & the texturing on the edges

charlie knighton
01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
very nice.....

Roger Chandler
01-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Nice work, Kathy! I like the bowl from a cube........I have done several of those, some with pedestals, and it is a neat project which elicits questions on "how'dhedodat! :) The plate is beautiful as well........gotta love the contrasting rim! Glad you are getting in some turning time.......wish I could find some!

Geoff Gaudet
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
I like both of those. The edge treatment on the "cube" bowl is a nice touch, compliments the non-traditional shape very well. And the dyed rim on the platter makes a frame which draws the eye in and gives it more interest than it might otherwise have.

mike ash
01-29-2014, 2:26 PM
Kathy, both are really nice. My favorite is the black bowl from a cube, I know when my daughters see this, they'll be begging for one.

Great work!

Mike

George Morris
01-29-2014, 6:31 PM
They are both very well done, I also like the edge treatment on the cube bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-29-2014, 9:52 PM
Very nice pieces Cathy, I especially like the platter, just beautiful :D

Bob Bergstrom
01-29-2014, 10:17 PM
It has been a pleasure viewing your work and seeing the progress in coloring and texturing. Both display a high level of craftsmanship and aesthetically pleasing work. Thanks for inspiring us all to try different techniques and forms.

Grant Wilkinson
01-30-2014, 4:45 PM
While both are very fine, I'll go with the other Canuck on here and "vote" for the platter. I really like the way you formed the rim.

BILL DONAHUE
01-30-2014, 9:10 PM
Two fantastic pieces! The texturing on the rim of the bowl sets it off well and adds just the right amount of interest. The platter is a classic; very nicely done.