PDA

View Full Version : Need red cedar in nor cal please help!

joshua goldberg
01-28-2014, 3:03 PM
I am looking for a supplier for western red cedar in northern california. I have looked and looked seemingly everywhere. It's becoming frustrating. I started building a table out of vtg red cedar that I picked up at mcbeath which was nice because it's only about 30 min from my shop. But their prices on 4x4 material I was planning on using for the legs was crazy! I think it was 9.60 a linear foot. I figured.. No biggie I'll build the top and keep looking around and eventually I will find a more reasonable price on material for the legs.. NOPE!. I now have had the top done for weeks and have not been able to find anything even close to reasonable. I have contacted every lumber yard in the bay area and even surrounding area even sacramento and up to santa rosa. dozens of emails and phone calls and nothing. I even figured if worse comes to worse I can just go to home depot and grab a few I am gonna joint and plane em anyway..Nope!!.. they had none.. I should have been done a month ago.. anyone know of anybody in nor cal who has large amounts of cedar, hopefully 4x .. 8/4 material?. STK is fine... rough is fine.. At this point I don't care I just want some damn wood... Thanks

Joshua281041

Ed Weiser
01-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Joshua,
Two suggestions: glue up 8/4 stock from thinner sections you obviously have access to. Depending on the design a mitered glue up would be totally hidden. Second, if you can only use 8/4 material there are any number of lumber suppliers in Oregon who would rough cut your legs but you would have to spring for shipping. BTW SGRC costs about $3-5/BF here in OR since we grow and mill it here!

Jamie Buxton
01-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Pinecone Lumber in Mountain View has lots of western red cedar. http://www.pineconelumber.com/ But primo softwoods now are nearly the price of hardwoods.

or Beronio lumber http://www.beronio.com/ in San Francisco.

Jerry Miner
01-29-2014, 1:53 AM
Joshua--

I might have some cedar in the shop. Check your private messages

joshua goldberg
01-29-2014, 1:57 AM
could you name some suppliers in Oregon?

Jerry Miner
01-29-2014, 2:01 AM
Try Mary's River lumber. They are a wholesaler, but they can lead you to local distributers

Jerry Miner
01-29-2014, 2:09 AM
p.s. Did you try Moore and Newton in San Leandro? They stock quite a bit of stuff, including WRC

Lud martinson
01-29-2014, 12:51 PM
There was a guy advertising in the Press Democrat (Santa Rosa) a year or so ago. I think he has a mobile dimen saw - up around Eureka. He was advertising cedar fencing but was capable of custom cuts as well. I would think one of the local yards would know him.

joshua goldberg
01-29-2014, 2:34 PM
Thanks Jerry. I contacted M & N they quoted me 3.95 a linear foot for #2 clear VSG. considering their only 20 min away i'll go with them until I can get the funds together for a really big load and a lower price.

joshua goldberg
01-29-2014, 2:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the help it's much appreciated.