PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes in the woods - should I be scared?

Sam Murdoch
01-28-2014, 11:13 AM
I have live here for nearly 30 years. My property abuts and is 1/2 surrounded by a 130 acre nature preserve. I have spent hundreds of wonderful hours alone in these woods. Was hiking and meditating all over the acreage long before it became a marked trail nature preserve. I actually cut a good portion of the trails. Have shared the trails in the light of dawn and through all seasons and hours with deer, fox, rabbits, porcupines, the ghosts of bobcats and fisher and all kinds of birds and rodents of the big furry tail variety.

These days the deer appear to be gone as are the rabbits and the fox are very rare. What we do have back there are coyotes. At least one pack possibly two. They are loud and boisterous and come very very near to the house. We can hear them rustling the leaves and panting as they run by the window after calling back and forth to each other for a few blood curdling minutes. They were in my near neighbors yard in December howling up a storm. I called him and asked him to quiet down his guests :eek: and in a hush he said "I'm on the porch and all I can see is their eyes."

Sadly I'm finding myself reluctant to go out into those woods alone these days.

There is a coyote bounty in Maine - $ 10.00 - but that is not at all my style and besides which you can't hunt in the nature preserve. I am a bit embarrassed to ask but should I be packing my biggest knife and an LL Bean walking cudgel :rolleyes: or should I just stay in side hiding under the bed. Am I being silly? Irrational? Wise?

What would you do?

Val Kosmider
01-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Annoying? Yes.

Dangerous? No.

Although I would probably keep and eye on my cat and/or small dog.

Jim Foster
01-28-2014, 11:53 AM
A pack tried to take my sister in-laws medium sized dog (sheltie) several years ago, luckily her other dog is a great Pyrenees which managed to fend off the coyote pack, but not before the smaller dog was seriously wounded. Coywolves and coyotes are becoming less scared of people and more aggressive. We've seen them in our neighborhood on occasion as well. A big walking stick seems like a good thing to have. Any neighbors with small children nearby?

Myk Rian
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
We get one or two from time to time. If the rabbit population is down, we know there is a Coyote. Lately, the rabbit population has been building.
They are naturally afraid of humans. I wouldn't worry about them. When the small animal supply is gone, (small dogs included) they'll move on.
Our Daughter lives in Littleton, Co. At night you can hear a couple packs howling. There has never been an incident involving humans.

Erik Loza
01-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Have seen and been in the vicinity of dozens of coyotes over the years. Not a threat.

As always, avoid attracting them to your property, such as leaving out food or easily accessible trash, pet food, etc. I actually enjoy seeing them in the wild.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Henderson
01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Annoying? Yes.

Dangerous? No.

Although I would probably keep and eye on my cat and/or small dog.

Amen to the cat and dog problem. We have lots of coyotes in this area. They see small dogs and cats as an appetizer. And they can take down big dogs, much bigger than they are because domestic dogs are not really fighters. The coyotes will maul a big dog faster than you can imagine.

Small children can also be at risk if they're alone.

But they don't bother full sized people around here.

Mike

Lee Schierer
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
I concur with the others. They pose little threat to an adult human, but a walking stick would probably make you less afraid. Other than wild animals such as rabbits, mice, and birds, coyotes will eat domestic or feral cats and small dogs. They will also kill foxes. Eliminate any potential food sources on your property and near your nature area that you can. I see tracks in the snow in the woods and fields behind our house all the time.

Andrew Fleck
01-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Like others have said, they are nothing to worry about. We have lots of them here in Missouri. I see them all the time when I'm out hunting alone, especially when I'm moving into the woods before it's light out. I can see how they could intimidate you. As soon as they see you they run away (usually it's long before you see them).

Rick Potter
01-28-2014, 1:14 PM
They are not dummies either. If you have a large male dog, they will send a female in heat to attract him. It happened to an acquaintance. His German Shepherd followed a female, a second coyote joined up when they were a ways off, another joined the parade a bit later, they went over a hill, and the dog was never seen again.

I remember one time at my cabin on the high desert, I kept my Dalmatian in at night, and they would not stop howling and yipping. Finally, about 3AM, I got tired of not sleeping and emptied a clip from my 22 out the front door into the ground. Ahh, sleep.

Rick Potter

Steve Rozmiarek
01-28-2014, 1:57 PM
They are very opportunistic, will hunt practically anything easy. Enjoy the "music" they make, and pay attention. Packs of anything are more bold than singles. Here, we ignore them until they group up, then they decimate calves. Also carry rabies if it's in your area, so don't get bit.

Rick Moyer
01-28-2014, 2:36 PM
Get one of these! They seem to be able to handle coyotes very well.

http://www.cartoonspot.net/looney-tunes/picture/road-runner-1.jpg

Sam Murdoch
01-28-2014, 2:40 PM
They are very opportunistic, don't get bit.

:rolleyes: …and so I started this thread. :D

Don't know why I've gotten skittish maybe it's the extra cold in the air. You've all got me convinced that I'll be fine - especially if I send a little kid or a dog out ahead of me. Thanks for the reassurance.

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2014, 3:22 PM
Hi Sam, Toronto has a sizable coyote popoulation, they live very well with humans.

As others have said they are a danger to pets, however not people.

A few month ago I saw one waiting for the pedestrian/traffic lights with a rabbit in its mouth. It had just come out of the river valley.

Once the lights changed and the traffic started, the coyote crossed the 4 lane road and headed into an abandoned industrial property.

It obviously watched the Road Runner show and knew what happened to coyotes who didn't yield to trucks.

Regards, Rod.

Ralph Butts
01-28-2014, 5:15 PM
I have coyotes in my area too. They keep the rodent population down, but they are generally only a threat to your pets. Humans are too much work and a danger. If there is no food source they should eventually move onto another section of the adjacent 130 acres.

Rick Potter
01-28-2014, 5:53 PM
Hey Rod,

Did it push the 'WALK' button?

RP

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2014, 6:33 PM
Hey Rod,

Did it push the 'WALK' button?

RP

Rick, that's the only thing it didn't do.

I was talking to one of the city wildlife guys and he mentioned that coyotes are smarter than dogs, and learn by watching people do things.

I guess it noticed that joggers on the path wait for the lights and the audio signal before crossing..............Rod

Ryan Mooney
01-28-2014, 7:18 PM
Just coyotes don't bother me at all. However I've seen more of the half coyote half (some large dog) critters around more lately and they're a wee bit more concerning.

A purebred (or close to it, not sure there is 100% such a thing anymore) yote is generally a fairly solitary critter, they'll have hunting buddies (pair hunting) but don't generally hunt in packs (past when the pups are no longer pups). The cross breeds tend to pack up more, are larger and seem to have less fear of people. Most of the reported attacks were most likely cross breeds. I've had what I'm quite sure were german shepard / coyote crosses stare me down at the mailbox at our last house. A shot with a slingshot sent them off, but they were a bit disconcerting and didn't seem to care how close you got.

Like most animal in this class (except polar bears, grizzlies and the occasional real hungry cougar :D) walking tall and acting big goes a long way towards preventing them from getting any bright ideas about you being a possible dinner.

Dave Sheldrake
01-28-2014, 8:48 PM
Are handguns not permitted for protection against wild animals in the US? I'm no supporter of shooting or killing anything that means me / mine no harm but it's one occasion where having a gun and not needing it is better than needing a gun and not having it.

If a firearm is a problem / legally not an option them dry powder fire extinguishers work very well at fending off all but the most persistent beasts.

cheers

Dave

Mike Cruz
01-28-2014, 8:52 PM
Should you be scared? Only if you're a rabbit. They'll avoid you like a fox will. No worries.

Lee Reep
01-28-2014, 9:00 PM
A pack tried to take my sister in-laws medium sized dog (sheltie) several years ago, luckily her other dog is a great Pyrenees which managed to fend off the coyote pack, but not before the smaller dog was seriously wounded. Coywolves and coyotes are becoming less scared of people and more aggressive. We've seen them in our neighborhood on occasion as well. A big walking stick seems like a good thing to have. Any neighbors with small children nearby?

I think the solution for Sam is to get a Great Pyrenees. We lost ours to cancer a few years ago, lived to almost 13. She was always guarding our yard when outside. Even chased the Canada Geese as they flew over our property. Once they cleared that vertical imaginary boundary, she let up. That was the greatest dog we've ever had. Family oriented like a Golden Retriever, but is the ultimate protector of its flock. They will take on coyotes, wolves, bears -- they are fearless. And the other thing I'd do is pack heat ... :) Hunting may not be allowed, but self-preservation should be OK.

Sam Murdoch
01-28-2014, 10:38 PM
No dogs, no firearms but maybe I need to change the way I walk in the woods. I have learned to walk without announcing my presence which has lead to all kinds of wondrous sights. Maybe less stealth and more attitude is in order. Funny, I have seen all kinds of creatures up ahead in the woods - from deer and moose, to bears, a mountain lion, not a few coyotes (individuals) and all kinds of less threatening animals and birds. What has me a bit spooked I think is that I have been hearing the packs very near and very loud calling to each other from different corners of the property. Not theoretical anymore when they are that close. I really would not want to be suddenly among those critters by myself. I'm hearing you all say that that is very unlikely. No matter how stealthy I might be they are aware and will be inclined to keep their distance. Fine by me.

Shawn Pixley
01-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Coyotes - no threat to you. Your cat or small dog (<50 lbs) are in peril especially at night. Cats with bells on collars typically don't last long. Coyotes have seen me walking alone and usually hightail it the other direction. They came into the yard one time until they saw my 105 lb black lab. They scooted off at high speed and never came back.

Jerome Stanek
01-29-2014, 6:01 AM
I think the solution for Sam is to get a Great Pyrenees. We lost ours to cancer a few years ago, lived to almost 13. She was always guarding our yard when outside. Even chased the Canada Geese as they flew over our property. Once they cleared that vertical imaginary boundary, she let up. That was the greatest dog we've ever had. Family oriented like a Golden Retriever, but is the ultimate protector of its flock. They will take on coyotes, wolves, bears -- they are fearless. And the other thing I'd do is pack heat ... :) Hunting may not be allowed, but self-preservation should be OK.

Your right about the Pyr My daughter had 2 one also died of cancer but the other is a great guard dog. We keep him and her new dog a Newfoundland every couple of months. Both are very loyal.

Jeff Erbele
01-29-2014, 7:03 AM
I'm going to go against the main theme of "don't worry", some what. We have coyotes all over the Denver Metro area. We also have a lot of open space (natural habitat) and praire dog towns (a food source).

From time to time the media reports coyotes being more aggressive and a threat to pets and children. A few months ago a pack vigorously attacked a man. In the news interview, he stated that he thought was fighting them off for about 5 minutes, not sure if he was going to win.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/3-coyotes-attack-man-during-walk-to-work

The point is, it can and does happen although not typical. Food availability is a factor and hunger is a motivator for becoming more aggressive. A hunting pack increases the risk.

There probably is no reason for overly alarmed but on the other hand be alert and prepared. Use common sense and good judgement. A walking stick and a knife may be a good idea and can't hurt. Even a noise maker, a can of rocks, can be a deterrent. Be noisy and look big. A gun, well that's your choice. Mace or pepper spray could be just as effective.

Curt Harms
01-29-2014, 9:38 AM
I haven't paid attention, can you still get M80s or cherry bombs worthy of the name? A few of those and a reliable lighter? I believe you can get something like 'bear-rated' pepper spray. I'm not sure how effective that'd be.

Rich Riddle
01-29-2014, 3:03 PM
We live in a park and all animals are protected in the park. Consequently, the coyote population exploded but the feral cat population decreased. The conservations agents indicate the coyotes pose no danger to adults but they are less afraid of humans and walk down the park streets in front of our homes. They come to our back door and look in, most likely for the three small dogs. I keep a hangun next to the back door. I would hate to do anything to harm one, but if it's between us or the dogs against feral coyotes .....

Curt Fuller
01-29-2014, 8:37 PM
No dogs, no firearms but maybe I need to change the way I walk in the woods. I have learned to walk without announcing my presence which has lead to all kinds of wondrous sights. Maybe less stealth and more attitude is in order. Funny, I have seen all kinds of creatures up ahead in the woods - from deer and moose, to bears, a mountain lion, not a few coyotes (individuals) and all kinds of less threatening animals and birds. What has me a bit spooked I think is that I have been hearing the packs very near and very loud calling to each other from different corners of the property. Not theoretical anymore when they are that close. I really would not want to be suddenly among those critters by myself. I'm hearing you all say that that is very unlikely. No matter how stealthy I might be they are aware and will be inclined to keep their distance. Fine by me.
Coyotes love Tammy Wynette! One night we were calling in central Nevada and got nothing. Started packing things up and put a Tammy Wynette tape in and they started coming from everywhere! I don't hunt them anymore but I still love to hear them sing. And by the way, this time of year most of their singing is love songs. They'll be whelping when spring comes. So unless you're wearing a fur coat and ode de Coyote, they're not nearly as interesting in you as you are in them.

Brian W Smith
01-30-2014, 6:15 AM
I'll spare the gore...but suffice to say,they're quite a nuisance here.They're really hurting the Bobcat and Fox numbers.....and they aren't helping the Bear population any either?The Deer and Turkey "seem" to be faring OK.Rarely go in the woods here without a firearm......so they aren't too much of a concern,personally.

I do have a campfire story of the one that got in our house.But it's a little out there,taste wise.

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2014, 7:55 AM
I am a bit embarrassed to ask but should I be packing my biggest knife and an LL Bean walking cudgel
I would.

I'd also slip a little something with more giddy-up in my pocket or waistband.....

That's just me though.

Jason Roehl
01-30-2014, 9:13 AM
Coyotes may be generally fearful of humans, but I'm not one to tempt fate when it comes to animals that have sharp claws and teeth, are close to my size (either by itself or en toto), and eat meat.

As our friend from across the pond said earlier in the thread, "Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

Dave Anderson NH
01-30-2014, 9:17 AM
As Curt said, it's mating season for the coyotes right now. There is a lot of howling at night around here this time of year and the wife had one in the front yard this morning as she put out the trash. One of our less intelligent neighbors has lost a couple of cats that they insisted were an "outdoor cats". It's hard to tell though whether it was the coyotes or the fishers which also enjoy a feline repast. Occasionally the packs will get aggressive and Sue has been growled at a couple of times. When we still had our Springer Spaniel he had a pen with a 5 foot fence around it to protect him while he was outside for the day.

Harold Burrell
01-30-2014, 9:29 AM
I do have a campfire story of the one that got in our house.But it's a little out there,taste wise.

Oh, man...I want to hear it. Come on...tell us Uncle Brian! Ple-e-e-e-ease!

Leigh Betsch
01-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Oh, man...I want to hear it. Come on...tell us Uncle Brian! Ple-e-e-e-ease!

Yeah I wanta hear how they taste too!!!

Kevin Godshall
01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
We have em here in NE PA too. Can't stand em, but won't tell that tale.

I'm a 2nd Amendment guy, and I exercise my right whenever and wherever possible, including the woods (it's maple syrup season, if the Global Warming lets up......... again, another story).

For those that don't carry, for whatever reason, one thing that works very well for personal protection and peace of mind, is a can of Wasp/Hornet spray. Decent range with a good stream, aim for the eyes. Perfectly legal and you never know when you might encounter an angry hornet or wasp along your nature walk. My son is disabled, but uses an ATV to navigate our property. We keep a brand new can Velcro-ed to the bumper for any emergency that may come up. I've been told it works on bears, stray dogs, ne'er do wells, and anything else that might cross your path with bad intentions.

Maybe you never need to use it, and hopefully not. But, as we learned in Boy Scouts: "Be prepared."

Best.

Charles McKinley
01-30-2014, 10:44 PM
If you do get bit or scratched go straight to the hospital for rabies treatments. There is a vaccine for humans that if you have it first just requires a couple of more shots. DAMHIKT Happy 24th birthday!

Brian Ashton
01-31-2014, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about them, but having a can of pepper spray wouldn't be the worst to have on hand just incase you find you're confronted by an aggressive pack. I used to carry a can that could shoot about 20 feet when way off the beaten track in Canada. Never had to use it but it's nice to know you have a back up if needed. And the benefit of pepper spray is it teaches those that want to try you on (without the need to kill them) a big lesson and they generally pass it on to their young to leave those evil 2 legged creatures alone because they have a nasty sting. I sampled it once (voluntarily) and I couldn't breathe or see for a very long time and the burn to the skin was quite substantial.