PDA

View Full Version : Planer question

Kent E. Matthew
01-27-2014, 6:57 PM
I just picked up a Delta 22-580 planer off of craigslist. Works well. Feeds fine, but one thing I didn't think to check was the finished thickness indicator. Its way off. I mean much more than loosening the screw and moving the cover. Can these things be recalibrated? If so how?

Kevin McCluney
01-27-2014, 7:28 PM
The indicator is essentially a tape measure secured under the upper cover, with the end attached just inside the infeed side about halfway down. You can reach in a pull the tape down and it'll retract when released. There may be some play in the end attachment. If that's not enough to correct it, then adding a spacer to raise or lower the tape's end should be fairly simple.

Myk Rian
01-27-2014, 7:28 PM
You could put a Wixey planer gauge on it and be done.

Brian Tymchak
01-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't pay much attention to the gauge on my planer. I start measuring with an engineering square or calipers when it gets close.

Art Mann
01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I would go with Myk Rian's suggestion. I have used a Wixey planer gauge almost since they were first introduced and it has been an excellent add-on to my planer. The new ones have an angled display that makes them much easier to read.

Lee Schierer
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
I use mine as more of a reference for setting the initial height, but then use my digital calipers to check thickness as I proceed with the planing. I have a pair of 6" ones from Harbor Freight that are more than 10 years old and still going. I do replace the battery periodically. I think I paid less than $20 for them.