PDA

View Full Version : Reliant DD34 shaper motor replacement?

Sam Murdoch
01-27-2014, 4:23 PM
The motor on this old shaper is burnt out. I've been told by my local woodworking machine store/repair shop that it can't be rebuilt. Thought they could convert the 220 to a 110 but no good doing that either - so I've been told.

I am not a motor guy so I need some advice. You see, the shaft on this motor is one tall 4" pulley.

280917 280918

Any ideas where to buy another long shaft motor? Or is there another way to hook up this machine using a regular short shaft motor and pulley? The repair guy had no suggestions. He does't have a stake in getting me to buy another machine so I took him at his word that I was SOOL with this particular machine. Any good ideas? Thank you.

Jeff Duncan
01-27-2014, 6:47 PM
Hmmmm, are you sure there are no set screws holding that pulley onto the motor shaft? If not that's a heck of a specialty motor, and I've never seen a motor come like that:o

If it is a single assembly there may be options, to be honest though your best may be looking for a used Delta. You could upgrade your shaper for not much more than a new motor would cost. And other parts would be much easier to source when needed. Just an idea…..

good luck,
JeffD

Ronald Blue
01-27-2014, 7:09 PM
Can you take a picture of the end of the pulley and shaft? I can't imagine that it wouldn't come apart. Is your repair shop a motor repair/rebuild shop or are they actually a wood working machine sales and repair shop? Look around the outside of the pulley for a hole or holes that might lead to a setscrew locking it on. Also is there a key visible from the end or a key way in the pulley? A straight key will be visible and a woodruff key will only reveal a key way. More information about it will get better advice on your options. Good luck.

david brum
01-27-2014, 9:57 PM
There is a guy on ebay who sells woodworking machine motors that the removes from machines he's selling to Amish wood workers. I think the Amish machines are driven by belt from a main shaft. Anyway, a quick glance shows that he does have at least one 1.5 hp shaper motor. Search for shaper motor on ebay's site.

Sam Murdoch
01-27-2014, 9:57 PM
Can you take a picture of the end of the pulley and shaft? I can't imagine that it wouldn't come apart. Is your repair shop a motor repair/rebuild shop or are they actually a wood working machine sales and repair shop? Look around the outside of the pulley for a hole or holes that might lead to a setscrew locking it on. Also is there a key visible from the end or a key way in the pulley? A straight key will be visible and a woodruff key will only reveal a key way. More information about it will get better advice on your options. Good luck.

Yes to the blue. Are you both suggesting that this is a long pulley on a short shaft? It doesn't appear to be that as the shaft "looks" like it comes all the way through. BUT - I will look at this more carefully. Could be that Mr. Repairman just didn't want to be helpful and I rolled over to his "expertise". I'll get back to you :rolleyes:.

Ronald Blue
01-27-2014, 10:52 PM
When you say it is burnt out can you clarify? Totally dead? Hums but no start? Reliance is now tied in with Baldor. There are several motor service centers in Maine. Here is a link minus the prefix. If they can't assist with repair they may be able to steer you onto a replacement. I don't see anything on the information plate that indicates what frame your motor is.

baldor.com/support/service_centers/locator/svc_centers_mtr_search.asp

Jeff Duncan
01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
My thought is just that it's a separate pulley, the shaft could be short or long, that's of no consequence. The question is whether or not the pulley is removable from the shaft……which I think must be. But I've been wrong before so…...:o

good luck,
Jeffd

Sam Murdoch
01-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the link Ronald. This could be the best way to go. It is totally dead - a result of switching through forward and reverse without stopping at stop. Bad switch design and operator error and that's all she wrote.

I did take the pulley off today and the shaft is 3" long. If it can't be repaired I'll be looking for a used motor with a 3" shaft to replace. Not going the new motor route the machine doesn't warrant the expense. Or as Jeff has suggested simply buy another shaper. This one wasn't much but was very cheap.

Jeff - don't you agree that in order to properly support the 4" pulley I would need a shaft no less than the 3" that the manufacturer provided?