PDA

View Full Version : Snipe after knife switch

Mike Parzych
06-14-2005, 7:23 PM
I have a Rigid 13" planer and just "switched" the knife to the new edge - first time I've changed it. Now I'm getting snipe which never happened before. Anyone else own one of these?

Infeed and outfeed table are correctly set. The knife switches end for ensd and goes into a slot. Is it possible that uneven wear on the first side makes it fit into the slot incorrectly?

Peter Mc Mahon
06-14-2005, 7:30 PM
I have the Dewalt not the Rigid but my knives set with a magnetic jig. Does yours not set the same way?

Mike Parzych
06-14-2005, 9:15 PM
There's just a magnetic handling tool, but according to the manual it doesn't have anything to do with the actual spatial placement in the slot. How does yours work?

Peter Mc Mahon
06-14-2005, 9:44 PM
They [there are 2 of them] are sort of shaped like a C. The C is placed so the open end [sort of] is over the knife. There are magnets that hold the knife at a pre-determined height relative to the cutter block, which the C is referencing off. I would think that there would be explicit instructions in your owners manual about how to change the knives. What do your magnetic handling tool look like?

Mike Parzych
06-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Now I feel like an idiot...

First though, the handler has a C shaped hook that's used to pull on the end of the knife to get it out. Small magnet on the other end just to lift it. Ther instruction only say "rotate the knife end for end keeping the flat side down. This will correctly position the knife to install."

Now comes the "idiot" part. I just realized I didn't switch the other knife!