PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Squeaking

Dennis McDonaugh
01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
My Woodsucker cyclone has started squeaking as it spins down. It's got a Baldor TEFC motor attached to a plate that bolts to the top of the cyclone. The impeller is attached to the motor shaft. I think the only bearings involved are those in the motor--is this something I can take apart and lube or is it more complex than that?

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2014, 12:56 PM
It may be the centrifugal switch in the motor squeaking and not the bearings.

If the bearings were bad enough to squeak, your motor wouldn't be running.

Distant option is a cracked impeller..............Regards, Rod.

Dennis Ford
01-27-2014, 1:10 PM
My Grizzly cyclone squeaks slightly just as it winds to a stop; has since it was new. Mine is not a bearing issue, might the centrifugal switch or perhaps a seal. I have heard bearings squeak but they usually don't last long afterwards, sometimes they lock up without ever making a peep. If it is the bearings, lube will not help at this stage but new bearings might prevent damage to the impeller. Replacing motor bearings is not too difficult but it would be better to have seen it done at least once before trying it.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-27-2014, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the replies--why would the centrifugal switch make a squeaking sound. Its not a loud squeak or a squeal. Its sorta squeak......squeak..............squeak............ ..............squeak.............................. ........................squeak.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-27-2014, 1:16 PM
I've spun the motor by hand and it spins smoothly.

glenn bradley
01-27-2014, 2:10 PM
Thanks for the replies--why would the centrifugal switch make a squeaking sound. Its not a loud squeak or a squeal. Its sorta squeak......squeak..............squeak............ ..............squeak.............................. ........................squeak.

The piston that disengages when the motor winds down (that's the click you hear about a minute or so before it actually stops spinning) rides on the spring steel contact assembly. I cured mine by removing the piston, placing some 600 grit sandpaper on the tablesaw top and randomly sanding the surface that makes contact. I then make sure everything is clean and DRY; squeak gone.

eugene thomas
01-27-2014, 2:36 PM
My 3 hp shop fox cyclone did that. Called place bought from and sent me new motor. Changed out and new one did same thing. Took old motor to bearing place, had new bearings put in even though old ones good. now have back up motor. Company not wanted old motor back.

Jamie Buxton
01-27-2014, 5:24 PM
My Woodsucker has been squeaking like that for several years. Dunno what causes it. Taking the thing apart to really figure it out would be a big pain, so I haven't.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
My Woodsucker has been squeaking like that for several years. Dunno what causes it. Taking the thing apart to really figure it out would be a big pain, so I haven't.

My thoughts exactly since it doesn't sound like it'd be running if the problem was serious.