PDA

View Full Version : Big news

kevin nee
01-27-2014, 7:42 AM
I entered & won a CLAM CHOWDA COOK-OFF in my town, (West Boylston MA)

it was actually a CHOWDA -CHILI COOK-OFF and all proceeds (about $1500)

went to help poor kids in the local schools. I received a $50 Gift card to

LEGAL SEAFOOD and a very tacky trophy. It is actually made from a scallop shell.

See attach!

I hope everybody is staying warm and is having fun

Sam Whit
01-27-2014, 8:00 AM
Way to go!

Bruce Page
01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Congrats! That trophy is a keeper!

Bill Bukovec
01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Do you share your recipe?

We could use some nice hot "chowda" right about now.

-13° F with wind chills in the -40's

Wednesday will be a balmy 19.

Jim Rimmer
01-27-2014, 12:59 PM
That trophy is so bad it's cool. Congrats.

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2014, 1:02 PM
Excellent news Kevin.

That trophy is so bad you need to build a disply case for it.

I was going to be out of town for work today, however the snow was so bad at our earth station that the local people couldn't make it into work today, so I'll go tomorrow.....Rod.

Michael Weber
01-27-2014, 1:20 PM
That makes you the chief chowda head.

Jay Jolliffe
01-27-2014, 2:22 PM
Congrats Kevin

Jim Matthews
01-27-2014, 3:58 PM
Wikkit owsum.

Proper chowda is clear, with chopped Quahogs.
What they serve in W. Boiledstones - that's for chum.

Fred Perreault
01-28-2014, 9:56 AM
I don't know about the "clear", but definitely with quahogs. I have even gone out into the local waters this winter and scratched some quahogs and cherrystones a few times. Once, I broke the ice open to get out into the water a ways, and was able to set my basket on the ice beside me. It reduced bending some, but it didn't make it any warmer. I even throw in some sea clams once in a while as a sweetener..... and maybe some linguica.

kevin nee
01-28-2014, 10:22 AM
This CHOWDA contained 4 pounds of FRESH sea clam meat, shucked by me, and was not even close to clear.
White/Say no to red CHOWDA!

The org. is in touch with school guidance councilors when they get notified a poor KID breaks his glasses or
has a tooth ache they send a check along, no questions asked. No the cure for cancer but that's all I got.

Rich Engelhardt
01-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Congratulations!

Jay Jolliffe
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
It's nice that your helping out the deserving kids....Sometimes they tend to get over looked.....

Rick Potter
01-28-2014, 1:18 PM
Is that a 'selfie', Jim?

My, how you have changed :eek: .

Rick Potter

Pat Barry
01-28-2014, 7:05 PM

Proper chowda is clear.

Never had 'clear' chowda. Doesn't sound appealing in the least. I love the white chowda though!

Dave Anderson NH
01-29-2014, 1:22 PM
Around heah we have two kinds of clam chowdah. Thin (but still white) and thick and creamy. The main difference is milk vs heavy cream though the thick and creamy tends also to have more potato and onions. That red abomination whose name I won't even mention is not chowdah. If I am in a polite mood I might acknowledge that it is "clam and tomato soup". If I am in normal mode I would refer to it as Yorker ---------.

Jim Matthews
01-29-2014, 6:43 PM
Thin (but still white) and thick and creamy. The main difference is milk vs heavy cream though the thick and creamy tends also to have more potato and onions. That red abomination whose name I won't even mention is not chowdah.

Neither Tomatoes nor Cow Juice will ever touch my clams.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rhode-island-clam-chowder/

And yes, that's what I look like in the photograph.
(I'm that block of lightly pink and gelatinous material in front of Captain Stubing.)