PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Jazz Guitar

Chris Fournier
01-27-2014, 12:17 AM
I make this guitar as a six string and as a seven string - A below E. "Original" design if there is any such thing when it comes to guitars, I drew it up with paper and pencil, let's just say that. I should mention that my friend and customer George had alot of input in the design and lay out. George is a fantastic jazz and classical guitarist and we have colaborated several times, my guitars are far better because of his input.

It is a mahogany, maple and ebony guitar, the bridge, pick up mounting ring, knobs, truss rod cover are all shop made. The bridge is bone. The neck is a set neck and it is carved into the body with no step, it is seamless. The pick up is a Bartolini, I love these pick ups. The finish is NC lacquer over vinyl sanding sealer, oil and aniline dye.

This guitar was memorable because it was the first one made and the project flowed effortlessly and the outcome was almost perfect. It was one of those rare projects where everything went according to plan and there was little to struggle with. This stands out in my mind because it is so rarely the case!

Patrick McCarthy
01-27-2014, 10:31 AM
VERY nice! Patrick

Julie Moriarty
01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't know how you can call that a poor man's guitar unless you work for free! I'm sure a ton of hours went into that. It's beautiful! You really brought out the "tiger stripes" well. If you have any more pics, please post them. I'd love to see them all. :D

Chris Fournier
01-27-2014, 6:05 PM
I don't know how you can call that a poor man's guitar unless you work for free! I'm sure a ton of hours went into that. It's beautiful! You really brought out the "tiger stripes" well. If you have any more pics, please post them. I'd love to see them all. :D

Professional photography and I only got the one shot - 4" X 5" transparency, I wish I could show you the back at the neck body joint. I call it the poor man's jazz guitar because it has a flat top. The carved top model was alot more expensive. The top is hard maple and it is very easy to pop the top! This guitar is large enough to be comfortable to play while sitting.

Thanks for your kind words!

Julie Moriarty
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
In the picture, the top looks carved. Nice job creating that! Was all this work done with a sprayer or did you rag on any of the dye? I've heard the term "poor man's burst" where they rag on the dye and blend the tone transitions by trial and error. I've experimented with that and it isn't easy if you are trying to duplicate a spray job.

Steve Milito
01-29-2014, 4:43 PM
I call it the poor man's jazz guitar because it has a flat top. The carved top model was alot more expensive. The top is hard maple and it is very easy to pop the top! This guitar is large enough to be comfortable to play while sitting.

Thanks for your kind words!
Is it a flat top or a solid body?

Chris Fournier
01-29-2014, 6:38 PM
The burst is hand applied with a rag and there's nothing poor about that! A hand applied burst allows me to really create the perfect "vignette" where the colours transition seamlessly. The black is of course opaque lacquer and that is applied with my trusty Devilbiss EGA jamb gun, dry, dry, dry. When you get it right the stage lights will prise colour out from underneath the black transition zone. The guitar is a flat top solid body with a lot of resonant chambers. Truth be told the cavities under the top help to keep a larger body guitar very light, their most important contribution.