PDA

View Full Version : Do you rule your own life?

Kev Williams
01-26-2014, 8:31 PM
I just got an email from one of my best customers. I've been producing a lot of product for them lately.

I was told to stop work on any more product.

The reason?

Mercury is in retrograde, and "I have a bad feeling"...

umm....

Phil Thien
01-26-2014, 8:47 PM
2014 Retrograde DatesIn 2014, Mercury will be retrograde during:

February 6–28
June 7–July 2
October 4–25

Dan Hintz
01-26-2014, 8:58 PM
Hopefully they don't think the same way when it comes to payment... :rolleyes:

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2014, 1:01 AM
That's a new one. Good luck!

Jeff Erbele
01-27-2014, 3:05 AM
So in case you ran out of Y2K provisions, first thing in the morning head to Sam's or Costco and stock op on pallets of bottled water, 50 lb sacks of beans, rice, flour, sugar, canned meat & fish by the case, powdered milk, and dust out the bomb shelter :rolleyes:

Jerome Stanek
01-27-2014, 6:51 AM
So in case you ran out of Y2K provisions, first thing in the morning head to Sam's or Costco and stock op on pallets of bottled water, 50 lb sacks of beans, rice, flour, sugar, canned meat & fish by the case, powdered milk, and dust out the bomb shelter :rolleyes:

You forgot the TP

Dan Hintz
01-27-2014, 9:40 AM
You forgot the TP

Give it a few days... the neighbors will be dead from lack of food stock, and you can just have theirs.

Phil Thien
01-27-2014, 10:10 AM
The stock market crash of 2008 occurred while Mercury was in retrograde.

Seems legit to me.

:rolleyes:

Dave Sheldrake
01-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Tell them you do a nice line in tinfoil hats Kev

cheers

Dave

Pat Barry
01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Kinda curious what it is you are making for them that is in jeopardy of the impending retrograde. How far back in the pipeline (raw materials, tools, etc) does the required work stoppage ripple back?

Rick Potter
01-27-2014, 1:03 PM
Forget the tinfoil hat, a pyramid works much better.

OK, I just have to tell this story. One day while at work in the fire station, a lady, about 65 comes in the office, accompanied by her 40 year old daughter, and her 13 yr old granddaughter. She said she wanted to make out a complaint on the Edison (power) Company because they made her gums bleed. How's that?, I ask. Then she proceeded to tell me how she was born in 1918, in Russia. The communists had planted a radio in her teeth, and sent her as a spy. Nearby electricity makes her gums bleed, so she planted a horse shoe under the meter, and Edison apparently dug it up, because her gums were bleeding again.

By now, it was pretty obvious she was missing more than a horse shoe, and I looked to her adult daughter for help on handling the situation. The daughter merely replied that she was right, and went on to tell me how she worked for the CIA. This went on for a few minutes.

OK, I'm now officially desperate, and looked to the 13 year old for some sanity. Thank goodness, she didn't repeat the family spy story. She simply asked if she could have one of the switches off the fire truck for her charm bracelet. I told her no, we needed them all. She countered by asking if she could have my badge. No, I need that or I will get fired.

So, after telling grandma I would file the proper paper work with Edison Co., they left. During the entire exchange, I never saw any of the crew, they were all hiding from the ladies in another room. It wasn't their first visit.

Follow up to that story...A few weeks later we were in the grocery store getting some chow, and the manager came up and pointed out the same three women. While we watched, they went to the produce aisle, cut off the green tops of the carrots, and stuffed them in their sweaters, leaving the carrots behind. The manager said they did it quite often, but never took the carrots.

This strange family lived on...........wait for it......Strang Street.......no lie.

Jim Rimmer
01-27-2014, 1:10 PM
Forget the tinfoil hat, a pyramid works much better.

OK, I just have to tell this story. One day while at work in the fire station, a lady, about 65 comes in the office, accompanied by her 40 year old daughter, and her 13 yr old granddaughter. She said she wanted to make out a complaint on the Edison (power) Company because they made her gums bleed. How's that?, I ask. Then she proceeded to tell me how she was born in 1918, in Russia. The communists had planted a radio in her teeth, and sent her as a spy. Nearby electricity makes her gums bleed, so she planted a horse shoe under the meter, and Edison apparently dug it up, because her gums were bleeding again.

By now, it was pretty obvious she was missing more than a horse shoe, and I looked to her adult daughter for help on handling the situation. The daughter merely replied that she was right, and went on to tell me how she worked for the CIA. This went on for a few minutes.

OK, I'm now officially desperate, and looked to the 13 year old for some sanity. Thank goodness, she didn't repeat the family spy story. She simply asked if she could have one of the switches off the fire truck for her charm bracelet. I told her no, we needed them all. She countered by asking if she could have my badge. No, I need that or I will get fired.

So, after telling grandma I would file the proper paper work with Edison Co., they left. During the entire exchange, I never saw any of the crew, they were all hiding from the ladies in another room. It wasn't their first visit.

Follow up to that story...A few weeks later we were in the grocery store getting some chow, and the manager came up and pointed out the same three women. While we watched, they went to the produce aisle, cut off the green tops of the carrots, and stuffed them in their sweaters, leaving the carrots behind. The manager said they did it quite often, but never took the carrots.

This strange family lived on...........wait for it......Strang Street.......no lie.

I know that story's got to be true because you just can't make that stuff up. :D

Phil Thien
01-27-2014, 1:21 PM
I know that story's got to be true because you just can't make that stuff up. :D

Yeah, if there was a "Best of SMC" section, that would belong in it.

Mel Fulks
01-27-2014, 1:32 PM
Great story, Rick. They sound like genuine eccentrics.

Jim Matthews
01-27-2014, 3:54 PM
I may have dated both of the older two, in earlier years.

The stuff you find out about people, when they take off the "game face".
Yikes.

Larry Browning
01-27-2014, 4:55 PM
Ok, at the risk of sounding like an un-informed idiot. What the heck is Mercury Retrograde? Surely I am not the only one that has never heard of this?

Dan Hintz
01-27-2014, 5:04 PM
Ok, at the risk of sounding like an un-informed idiot. What the heck is Mercury Retrograde? Surely I am not the only one that has never heard of this?

Astrology, Larry. Some not-quite-sane people believe their lives are affected by the motion and current location of the planets, stars, etc.

David Weaver
01-27-2014, 5:04 PM
Clearly, any married individuals putting their hands up and vouching that they rule their own life have a slim grip on reality.

Rick Potter
01-27-2014, 5:20 PM
Just one story of many. Every station has it's own 'mascot'. Hmmm 150 stations, with a story for each. Sounds like a book deal to me.

Rick Potter

Kevin Bourque
01-27-2014, 5:30 PM
So Mercury is wearing clothes from the 70's now?

Garrett Ellis
01-27-2014, 5:35 PM
Clearly, any married individuals putting their hands up and vouching that they rule their own life have a slim grip on reality.

LOL, that's more along the lines of what I was expecting to read when I first opened this thread.

Larry Browning
01-27-2014, 5:41 PM
Astrology, Larry. Some not-quite-sane people believe their lives are affected by the motion and current location of the planets, stars, etc.

Hmm, very strange, I am not-quite-sane and yet, I have not heard of such a thing. Does this mean that I am more sane than I had originally thought? Or, more likely, I am completely insane!

Frederick Skelly
01-27-2014, 6:42 PM
Rick, thats too funny!

Jim, Im pretty sure I dated em after you wised up.

Kev, it sounds like you ought to embed a hidden fee for "unplanned work stoppages". Man, that woulda made me nuts. Good luck with the Astrology-based Just-in-Time supply chain. :(

Kev Williams
01-28-2014, 5:31 PM
Work is back on! I was informed this was just a 'temporary weekend freakout'... :)