PDA

View Full Version : Belt supplier for stroke sander?

Larry Edgerton
01-26-2014, 7:21 PM
I bought a Minimax stroke sander today, looking to see what you are using for belt sources, quality more important than price, but cost is a consideration. Belts are 6X240.

Thanks Larry

Bradley Gray
01-26-2014, 7:26 PM
I use Klingspor abrasives. Super long life:

www.klingspor.com/products/KlgprBlts.htm‎

Loren Woirhaye
01-26-2014, 7:56 PM
If it's an L55 it takes a 6900mm belt (about 272"). Any place that makes up wide belt sander belts should be able to do it for you. There may be a place local enough to you that it makes sense not to mail order them.

Mike Heidrick
01-26-2014, 8:10 PM
3M makes some nice ones

Rick Lizek
01-26-2014, 11:07 PM
www.industrialabrasives.com
Good quality and prices. Low minimum on custom belts and a local family business. Stroke sanders are terrific sanders. I recommend them over drum sanders for general sanding. Been using them for wood and metal work for over forty years. One shop we had 3 stroke sanders and 1 widebelt sander. Learning curve is steep and prepping the pad for optimum results is tricky but you can't get a better machine...so versatile.

Erik Loza
01-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Ditto on comments about 3M and Klingspor. I'm no authority on abrasives, just hear what my owners use. Those two brands are popular (if not a little pricey...) but I have just as many shops who buy whatever the "house brand" might be that their local abrasives place sells.

Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mel Fulks
01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
I Klingspor ,too. Haven't had to order anything for several years but at one point their service seemed to dip from previous high level. TWICE they sent me thirty something inch stroke sander belts that had been ordered 30 plus FEET. AND seemed irritated that I had not ordered in milimeters !

Larry Edgerton
01-27-2014, 6:14 PM
If it's an L55 it takes a 6900mm belt (about 272"). Any place that makes up wide belt sander belts should be able to do it for you. There may be a place local enough to you that it makes sense not to mail order them.

It is an L55 with an 8' bed and I bought it used so I am not positive on the belt size, but that sounds about right.

Local abrasives dealer? Ya, I live in the sticks so I have to order everything. How many belts and what grit would you order for a small shop doing just specialty work, with a few for stock? Never used one of these. Actually wanted a new SCM wide belt, but they keep going up and my income keeps going the other way.

Larry

Loren Woirhaye
01-27-2014, 8:04 PM
I'd start with 100 grit for woodworking if you're going to use it for stock prepped on a planer. The machine itself is aggressive and surfaces softer woods very fast at 100 grit. I got mine a few months ago and haven't used mine enough to say what you need beyond that. You might want to sand up to 180 or 220 on the stroke sander then back to 150 or 180 with a ROS for stain grade work.

Mark Bolton
01-28-2014, 3:22 PM
+1 For industrial abrasives. Ive been using them for about 5 years and always been happy. Nice people, good prices.

David Kumm
01-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Econoway Abrasives is another choice. Dave

bill alburger
06-19-2014, 11:06 AM
www.industrialabrasives.com (http://www.industrialabrasives.com)
Good quality and prices. Low minimum on custom belts and a local family business. Stroke sanders are terrific sanders. I recommend them over drum sanders for general sanding. Been using them for wood and metal work for over forty years. One shop we had 3 stroke sanders and 1 widebelt sander. Learning curve is steep and prepping the pad for optimum results is tricky but you can't get a better machine...so versatile.

I've read some of your posts about your sanding experience and I see you are into wood art. I am a wood artist and I use reclaimed and rescued wood. I would love to ask you a few questions about stroke sanders. I didn't see how to send this as a private message, so that is why I'm posting it here.

Thanks!

Bill

Tony Joyce
06-19-2014, 4:30 PM
How many belts and what grit would you order for a small shop doing just specialty work, with a few for stock?

Larry

Do not buy more than you will use in a years time. The joints will deteriorate after a year and come appart. Most companies don't bother to reveal this little known fact unless asked. This applies to all sanding belts as far as I know, unless the manufacturer tell you different.

Tony

Kevin Jenness
06-19-2014, 4:37 PM
I have the same machine and like it a lot. I have had good luck with Industrial Abrasives belts. I have 80# to 220# in stock, probably would be happy with 100/150/220 or 80/120/180. No problems with the taped butt joints in these belts over time (several years). I like the fact that I can get to a finished surface quickly after planing or wide belt sanding- no reason to finish off with a DA that I can see, and certainly not to go downward in grit # after the stroke sander.

Rick Lizek
06-19-2014, 5:44 PM
So, what are your questions. Call industrial abrasives for sandpaper. Do you need open or closed coat paper? I don't recall ever seeing a post on this topic.

Kevin Jenness
06-19-2014, 6:25 PM
When I was out in Oregon a couple of years ago I visited Hank Holzer's shop. He was using his stroke sander with a flexible belt and shaped platens to sand the inside and outside of coopered chair parts. It is also possible with a slack belt to sand moderate curves in the longitudinal direction. So the stroke sander is more versatile than you might think at first glance.

Years ago Fine Woodworking had an article about Joe Tracy up in Mt Desert Island which included a description of him buffing out the finish on a run of tables using a stroke sander with an old belt covered with scotchbrite. I wonder if anyone knows of a source for such belts readymade?