PDA

View Full Version : Water-based "poly"- is 2 coats enough?

Frederick Skelly
01-26-2014, 6:11 PM
Hi guys.
Ive built a closed stand and mobile base for my tablesaw. The base is 6 ft long - much longer than the closed stand required. In the future, I intend to put a large cabinet on the base, under the 52" extension table.

I have applied 2 coats of minwax polycryllic. The mfgr recommends 3 coats. I have the look and feel I want at just 2 coats. I wet the surface to raise the grain and sand BEFORE applying the poly, so I didnt have to do more than scuff the surface between coats.

Is there a real reason for 3 coats or do you think it will hold up with just two?

Thanks for giving me a hand.
Fred

Jack Lemley
01-27-2014, 8:38 AM
I have always used 3+ coats. The 3rd coat likely adds durability and may even affect adhesion and other properties. I used to paint cars many years ago and the mill thickness of the finish is important.

Jack

Hi guys.
Ive built a closed stand and mobile base for my tablesaw. The base is 6 ft long - much longer than the closed stand required. In the future, I intend to put a large cabinet on the base, under the 52" extension table.

I have applied 2 coats of minwax polycryllic. The mfgr recommends 3 coats. I have the look and feel I want at just 2 coats. I wet the surface to raise the grain and sand BEFORE applying the poly, so I didnt have to do more than scuff the surface between coats.

Is there a real reason for 3 coats or do you think it will hold up with just two?

Thanks for giving me a hand.
Fred