PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Acrylic

Walt Langhans
01-26-2014, 1:09 PM
I've started messing around with engraving acrylic and I'm getting a film on the surface that I assume is from engraving process. The piece was engraved with the backing of the acrylic removed. I tried washing it with warm soapy water (ie how they say to clean acrylic) didn't help much, then I tried some windex still not much help. I can scrape it off with my fingernail but not very efficient to say the least. So... how do I clean up the piece?

I've got good air flow from the fan as well as the air assist. I've also got the laser rastering from the bottom to top so the exhaust / airflow doesn't go across what's already been rastered. I thought about leaving the backing on, but the thought of trying to peel off a bunch of little pieces doesn't seem very efficient either. Are there any tips / tricks that can help here?

Thanks!

Bert Kemp
01-26-2014, 1:25 PM
I read a tip about getting all those tiny pieces off, they said to use duck tape. You might try leaving the backing on then duck tape the pieces off. Might be worth a try.

Gary Hair
01-26-2014, 1:56 PM
Walt,
First - use as little power as possible as it will leave the least amount of residue. For me, the goal isn't to get a deep mark it's to get the shallowest mark possible that doesn't compromise the image.
Second - don't leave on the mask, it will cause major problems with rastering. Leave it on for vectoring though, it will make cleanup easier.
Third - don't use air assist when rastering, only vectoring.
Fourth (and last) - use acrylic cleaner - I use Novus #1 for light residue removal and polishing and Novus #2 for heavier cleanup. Both are available at any plastics supplier like Tap Plastics.

Gary

Mike Null
01-26-2014, 3:05 PM
I use dna on all cast acrylic.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2014, 4:28 PM
Second - don't leave on the mask, it will cause major problems with rastering. Leave it on for vectoring though, it will make cleanup easier.

For engraving, replace the mask with vinyl transfer tape... very easy to remove, and takes care of any concerns about residue.

Walt Langhans
01-26-2014, 6:16 PM
Thanks guys!

First - use as little power as possible as it will leave the least amount of residue. For me, the goal isn't to get a deep mark it's to get the shallowest mark possible that doesn't compromise the image.

What I was trying to do was raise the letters so I did a good bit of power to remove a lot of material, so I don't think I can reduce it more than where it was at.

Third - don't use air assist when rastering, only vectoring.

So what do you do when the piece has both rastering and vectoring?

I use dna on all cast acrylic.

dna?

Mark Sipes
01-26-2014, 6:29 PM
DNA De natured Alcohol

Raised letters... would really like to see what you are working on... any pics? 12 years of lasing acrylic and never thought of reverse engraving! wood yes!

Jerome Stanek
01-26-2014, 6:55 PM
DNA Denatured alcohol

Gary Hair
01-26-2014, 7:01 PM
What I was trying to do was raise the letters so I did a good bit of power to remove a lot of material, so I don't think I can reduce it more than where it was at.
That is completely different Walt. I would use lots of power in this case otherwise it will take forever.

So what do you do when the piece has both rastering and vectoring?
I tape, or leave on the mask, vector, remove the tape/mask, then raster. If the vectoring is complex or detailed then I'll remove the tape/mask and just laser away.

Gary

Walt Langhans
01-26-2014, 7:10 PM
I was just messing around with my company logo and decided to make coasters. I did raised and then engraved letters as well as other variations. The raised letters looked the best to me, although the picture stinks.

Walt Langhans
01-26-2014, 7:12 PM
I tape, or leave on the mask, vector, remove the tape/mask, then raster. If the vectoring is complex or detailed then I'll remove the tape/mask and just laser away.

Blah... that's kind of what I thought, and this is why I typically don't do this kind of thing! Sounds like too much work, lol.