PDA

View Full Version : TwistedLyre v2.1

David DeCristoforo
01-26-2014, 11:03 AM
OK… this is the last one. I promise! The pedestal on the second post was appealing to me but it seemed too short. An extreme at the other end of the spectrum from the first one. Also, as Marshall Gorrow (WoW) pointed out, the curve was not "sweet", a result of being done in a hurry. And I did want to try Jamie Donaldson's suggestion about moving the camera back and not using the zoom to improve the image.

Curt Fuller and a few others suggested that this would look best with no pedestal at all so here is the "Curt Fuller version":

And Chuck Jones (WTU) suggested that it did not matter because it would look good sitting on a dogpile. So here is the "Chuck Jones version".

Hey… is that a turtle in there?

In a reply to v2.0 is was commented that: "…one of things all artists struggle with is "when is the piece done…"

To this I can only say that I'm not trying to be an "artist" here. I'm just having a bit of fun and trying to satisfy that lifelong desire to "make something". However, I am done with this! Experimenting was enjoyable and educational but the results are inconclusive. It's still not glued on!

Geoff Gaudet
01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
To this I can only say that I'm not trying to be an "artist" here. I'm just having a bit of fun and trying to satisfy that lifelong desire to "make something".
Ah, but you ARE being an "artist." This kind of experimentation ("exploring the form," in artspeak) is a big part of visual art. Most "artists" just want to have some fun and satisfy their desire to "make something"...why should we be any different? Besides, as a good friend once told me, "everyone should have some art in their life."

As far as "when is a piece done," my wife (who really is an artist, BFA and all) would say, "Art is never finished, it only stops at interesting places."

Jeff Nicol
01-26-2014, 7:26 PM
David, I love it on the pedestal and the finial looks fine and with this type of turning, the base and finial could be changed 100's of times and re-arranged again and again with so many folks loving it in every combination. So to answer the question; "When is the piece finished?" It is when you either have pulled out all your hair, broken all the pencils in the shop, or when the artist decides that if they mess with it any more it may become fire wood! For me I have to just say that is it and most likely it would be to hard to make a big change so that is the finished piece, and we all caon look at things we make and pick out each and every little thing we don't like, but others will most likely never notice these self determined flaws.

Great job as always,

Jeff