PDA

View Full Version : Question for Jim Becker

Richard McComas
06-14-2005, 4:35 PM
In an earlier post you stated that your had tried a water-based shellac but didn't care much for it. Could you the me what you didn't like about it?

Jim Becker
06-14-2005, 6:35 PM
I did not find it had the same clarity and color that "regular" shellac does. It was fine for spraying, but no way would I want to brush it. I don't have that discomfort with alcohol soluable shellac. The water bourne just didn't leave me with the same smile as I get from the "regular" material.

But since Target sells it in quarts, it's not all that expensive to try, although shipping to your neck of the woods is not as financially convenient as it is for them to send it across the Delaware River to me!

Richard McComas
06-15-2005, 12:03 AM
I did not find it had the same clarity and color that "regular" shellac does. It was fine for spraying, but no way would I want to brush it. I don't have that discomfort with alcohol soluable shellac. The water bourne just didn't leave me with the same smile as I get from the "regular" material.

But since Target sells it in quarts, it's not all that expensive to try, although shipping to your neck of the woods is not as financially convenient as it is for them to send it across the Delaware River to me!Thanks for your comments, yes shipping can get a little out of hand sometimes. Shipping a quart probably wouldn't break the bank. I recently bought a 5 gal pail of Furh 375 from place in San Diego CA. Cost on that was $248.00. :eek: