PDA

View Full Version : Gatorboard

Ron Chapellaz
01-25-2014, 7:07 PM
Does anyone know if we can laser cut Gatorboard safely, or does it contain PVC?? If it doesn't contain PVC, what is it like to cut with? Does it give off a lot of smoke, does it catch fire, or melt etc...

It says it's made from polystyrene which should be safe to cut with right?? I want to make sure and not wreck my laser with this stuff. I've got a piece here to try but want to tread with caution and make sure this can be used with the laser.

Is it the same as foamboard?

Someone approached me with a piece to try and currently they get it router cut but would prefer to have more intricate cuts done if possible, which I'm hoping the laser will do. It is to be used for exterior signage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

David Somers
01-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Evening Ron!

If you do a Google search on Gatorboard MSDS you will find info about hazardous chemicals and other things in the Material Safety Data Sheet on it. (MSDS) It shows as being a Urea Formaldehyde based foam core with a paper cover. According to the MSDS it was not supposed to be more harmful than wood when burned. Hopefully others can give you thoughts on how it actually handles in the lasers?

Dave

Dave

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2014, 9:53 AM
I have used both the paper surfaced and more expensive styrene covered 1/4", and the results cutting it are poor. The inner foam melts at a faster rate than the surfaces, resulting in a concave hardened foam center. You can get by with using it as inexpensive indoor dimensional letters/logos if not mounted at eye level, but for intricate detail requiring flat edges, it's pretty useless.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2014, 9:56 AM
There have been several mentions of Gatorboard over the last few years... I'd search here and see what the other threads say.

Ron Chapellaz
01-26-2014, 7:30 PM
The gatorboard I was given was 1/2" thick. Well, I gave it a go today and the stuff just melts, catches fire, or both. I tried switching up the power, speed and freq., including multiple high speed passes but all to no avail. The stuff I was given had an exterior plasticized coating which doesn't need much power to get through, but I believe the laser beam gets diffused after passing through it and melts the core before reaching the bottom layer of resin. If anyone has had success on cutting this stuff, I'd love to hear about it! Thanks all for your input!