PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Wilderness Pack Axe

RobertG Burns
01-25-2014, 5:53 PM
I wanted to get input on my new Wilderness Pack Axe from a design stand point as I will be doing a lot of them with the first run being fifteen. I made a prototype a while ago but wasn't too found of the head geometry so I made some tweaks and here I am again...http://www.iforgeiron.com/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png So any input wood be appreciated especially from anyone that does woodwork/ timber framing. Okay so this axe was forged from 1018 and a 1084 bit running back to the eye, the head measures 7 inches long with a 4 1/2 inch long edge and is 18 inches long made from hickory and weighs in at 2 1/4 pounds. In dimensions it is closest to the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest axe with the Gransfors weigh about 3/4 of a pound more. So as far as pack axes go it's on a the light side but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. This one still needs my maker's mark, but it will be my personal one to see how it is to live with as that will be the ultimate test of its design. But enough of me gibber jabbing what do you all think? Thank you for your input.

Robert

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s526/scottishsmith24/IMG_2570_zpsc94ce7151_zpsdba17cd9.jpg (http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/scottishsmith24/media/IMG_2570_zpsc94ce7151_zpsdba17cd9.jpg.html)

Brian W Smith
01-26-2014, 5:47 AM
Robert,people only "know what they know"....and that's my excuse,haha.I'd always heard this sized axe refer'd to as a G-mother's axe.That's what my G-mother,along with every other woman,used for feeding the kitchen stove.Just sayin...that's what they're called 'round here.

I found one.....looks to be pre war(WW II) ten years or so ago in some old junk at one of my boy's house.It has been used next to our wood furnace in this time.Anyway,the handle is oil rotten up around the head so I splurged and got one of those Estwing "camp axes" from a BORG......DANG IT!Would loved to have one of yours,it looks like it would be right at home for use here.

How do you recommend sharpening?We just litely kiss the backside(non platen side)of a vert 6x48 belt grinder,maintain blade geometry.Then finely touch up with file...followed by a stroke or 10 with an oilstone.

RobertG Burns
01-26-2014, 9:28 AM
Thanks for your reply Brian, I never heard it called a G-mother's axes but I was discussing with some friends yesterday how the weight of this axe would make it able to be used by the inexperienced and not physically strong with ease such as children or older women. As far as sharpening is concerned the geometry and edges I put on these axes allows you to just treat it as you would a knife so predominantly whetstones or oil stones. Obviously if the edge took some more serious damage use a file but I would never recommend putting these heads on a grinder.

Mac McQuinn
01-26-2014, 5:15 PM
Robert,
I have the Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet and It's my go to tool for camping, trail running, etc. That said I've been looking for an axe like yours. I noticed the head is shaped more like a Hunters model although the reverse curve of handle resembles the Forest Axe. I personally think the slightly lighter head would work out well. I use a Accusharp Tool sharpener for all touch-ups and file for any nicks, etc.
Mac