PDA

View Full Version : Oneway users?

Ed Lang
06-14-2005, 4:14 PM
If we have any Oneway users here, please let me know who you are.

I am looking at the 2436 but would like to hear from those of you who have the other units as well.

Any comments on the following items?

2436 3hp
96 pos indexing plate
Large Outboard Attachment & Tailstock Riser Block
Breaking Resistor
Easy-Core Coring System
Vacuum Adaptor
Gauge kit
Drum Chucks

I am about 6' 2" tall. When I bend my elbow 90* and measure from the botton of my arm to the floor it is 44". Would you suggest a 44" leg set or the 46" leg set? Why?

Any other thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

Jim Becker
06-14-2005, 6:31 PM
One suggestion...if you are going to purchase this class of machine, get some turning time on it and the alternatives in the same space. Don't invest over five grand on a machine that you have not personally turned on! One of the best ways to do that is to work with folks who are members of your local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter...there is usually at least one member who has each of the premium machines in a given group.

As to your height, both OneWay and other machines in the class are height adjustable in some fashion as you indicate. I'm 5' 11" and prefer a 46-47" spindle height on my Stubby for the work I do--this is slightly higher than the "elbow test", but is most comfortable for me. That last part is important. Spindle height is not just related to your own height but to how you work. This is yet another reason to turn on various machines before you purchase.

Steven Wilson
06-14-2005, 6:38 PM
I have a 2436, 3Hp with the multi extension generally mounted outboard (inboard if I need more bed length) and a second banjo. I was considering the large outboard attachment but was talked out of it by Oneway! I haven't had a need for anything more than 24" swing. I do like having the multi extension outboard as it allows me to rough turn inboard (using the tailstock) and then move the piece outboard and continue turning. Sort of like having a long bed and a short bed lathe in one package. I use the Talon and the larger Oneway chuck. I haven't outfitted a vacum system yet. I do have a light bar mounted (can't remember who makes them though) that allows you to have two Moffat lights up close with your work. Great lathe, although it's been a bit overkill for the work I've been doing lately (cork fishing rod grips) but it's nice to have the capacity if needed.

Steve Rowe
06-14-2005, 7:49 PM
Ed,
I have a 1-1/2 HP Oneway 1640 with outboard attachment and it is one fine piece of machinery. I also have the outboard riser block, vacuum adaptor, and the 5" drum chuck. I am 6' 1" and the spindle height on my Oneway is perfect for me (I don't know my other critical dimensions). I put together my own gauge kit with parts and a vacuum pump purchased from www.surpluscenter.com (http://www.surpluscenter.com/) and it works fine. The drum chuck and rotary adaptor can be used on either the outboard or inboard end and are well designed and manufactured. I do not have the braking resistor and thusfar have not observed a need for it. If you are doing huge pieces with a lot of mass, that is something you may want to consider but I would consult with Oneway before purchase to ensure you really need this.

One thing not on your list is the RFI Filter. If you like to listen to your radio while you turn, I highly recommend this. If you are willing to install yourself (the enclosure backplate is predrilled and tapped for it), you can get the identical EFI filter that Oneway sells from Allied Electronics for about $16.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
Steve

Richard Allen
06-14-2005, 8:38 PM
Hi Ed

That is a terrific lathe.

The 96 indexing is actualy a second pin which makes the standard 48 position indexing 96. The addition of the second pin is minimal cost, if you never use it it will never get in your way.

The large outboard with tailstock riser is an expensive but nice addition. Off center turning becomes posible as well as turning table tops and the ocasional big hunk of wood.

Breaking resistor. I don't have this and I doubt I ever will. It would be nice to have for slowing the ocasional big piece. But the prospect of hooking it up is more than a little daunting. I hooked up a remote on/off and it took me a LOT longer than I ever would have imagined. If you want the breaking resistor get it with the lathe so you don't have to hook it up.

The easy core system is just that. An easy way to core bowls. It is very nearly fool proof (I can use it). There are 4 curves to work with so there is a good deal of versatilaty with the shapes availble

I use the easyvac for the vacume chuck. I do use the Oneway drum chucks. They are overkill to be sure. But I never have to give it a seconds thought.

You didn't mention the RFI filter. To cheap not to get it when you buy the lathe. There will be a time when you want to listen to a ball game or some talk show that is only on AM and the RFI filter will let you do that without a second thought.

Remote on/off. I use mine at least as much as the pendent on/off.

The short bed extension. You can use it outboard if you want. But on the inboard side it give you the chance to slide the tailstock out of the way without haveing to remove the tailstock from the lathe.

The handwheel hub is a good addition. It is cheap but it give you a chance to make something nice for your lathe. I think Oneway should give you the option to make handle ends for the banjo and tailstock handwheel. They would be simple projects that could personalize the lathe without any compromize to the execlent quality of the lathe.

Good Luck

Richard