PDA

View Full Version : Towing/tranny question

Fred Voorhees
06-14-2005, 3:31 PM
My buddy and I were talking the other day about towing our campers and what would be the best technique in a certain situation. Every October, we head to Syracuse for a weeks worth of camping at the New York State Fairgrounds - taking in a big end of the season dirt track racing event.

Anyway, we tow up through the Pocono mountains and as many of you East Coasters might know, that means that there are a number of long steep inclines to deal with. I have always been under the impression that it is better to anticipate the long grades and build up a "head of steam" going into the grade and carry a higher rate of speed and keeping the transmission wound up and not bogged down and laboring. My buddy is of the opposite bent. He says that it is better not to have the transmission turning high revs and the wiser choice is to let it labor up the hill.

Any automotive experts out there care to comment on this and give me some true advice on this situation???

Jeff Sudmeier
06-14-2005, 4:03 PM
Fred,

The biggest thing is to ensure that the torque converter is locked and is not slipping between gears. The lugging of the engine and the transmission being in too high of a gear is what will kill transmissions.

Also, the max speed of most trailers is 45-55 mph. If you exceed this by a high amount to build up your head of steam you risk losing control.

John Shuk
06-14-2005, 9:40 PM
Watch what the trucks do. Just take that bad boy out of overdrive. I'd vote for getting a head up. Just be reasonable. We're not talking about redlining it or going outrageously fast here.

Roy Wall
06-14-2005, 10:02 PM
What Jeff says is true!!

Don't leg the engine lug!!

Fred Voorhees
06-15-2005, 6:26 PM
Thanks guys, I NEVER drive the truck in overdrive while towing the camper. That would be transmission suicide!! And no, I don't redline it or go outragiously fast when coming up on an incline. I simply make sure that I have a nice "head of steam" going into the grade. One thing though Jeff, I have no option of "locking" the tourque converter. I have a simple straight forward automatic transmission. Does that make any difference? I simply wanted to know if I should allow the engine and transmission to "lug" away at a slower speed, or if it would be better to try to maintain a higher speed that keeps the truck from dying on the road. Answers appreciated!

Jerry Clark
06-15-2005, 7:33 PM
I am assuming that you have a gas engine-- First I suggest that you approach any hill at a reasonable fast speed and keep the RPM between 3000 to 4000 RPM-- never operate the engine close to red line and never lug it. The engine has the most torque at those RPM. Unlock the converter if you have a switch-- always down shift if the transmission keeps shifting up and down, which will result in a slower speed and higher engine speed. I have towed a travel trailer many miles-- Colorado and Wyoming has big Mountains! :cool: My opinion only!

Jeff Sudmeier
06-16-2005, 8:11 AM
Thanks guys, I NEVER drive the truck in overdrive while towing the camper. That would be transmission suicide!! And no, I don't redline it or go outragiously fast when coming up on an incline. I simply make sure that I have a nice "head of steam" going into the grade. One thing though Jeff, I have no option of "locking" the tourque converter. I have a simple straight forward automatic transmission. Does that make any difference? I simply wanted to know if I should allow the engine and transmission to "lug" away at a slower speed, or if it would be better to try to maintain a higher speed that keeps the truck from dying on the road. Answers appreciated!

Fred,

I don't really understand the locking the torque converter either. However, basically it was explained to me that there is a sweet spot in every gear right around 3000 rpms where the torque converter is locked. When you are really working the engine and the tranny you want to be in that RPM range...

Basically keep on shifting the truck down by hand if you need to, to keep the rpm's up...