PDA

View Full Version : Best lubrication for Hitachi C8BF2 sliding bars?

Mikhail Lermontov
01-25-2014, 5:50 AM
Thanks to you guys after some research on this forum I purchased a used Hitachi C8FB2 sliding miter saw.
For some reason the saw doesn't slide as smooth as I think it should slide. Is there any particular oil for it or I can get away with some regular synthetic motor oil?
Also, do you know a good online store where I can buy a clump and maybe some other accessories for the saw?
Any help appreciated.

Jim Matthews
01-25-2014, 8:24 AM
I'm pretty sure this uses a dry bearing made of delrin in the sliders.
I wonder if the bearing needs to "burn in" a little?

Any sticky lubricant applied will attract sawdust.
Bostik topcote (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2007336/2253/Bostik-TopCote-Aerosol-10-34-oz.aspx?keyword=brandBostik_and_adwords_labelsShop _Chemicals_Misc&refcode=10INGOPB&device={device}&network={network}&matchtype={matchtype}&gclid=CLvOs9q1mbwCFSvxOgodYSAAzw) is what I was taught to apply to my cast iron bandsaw bed.

I suppose that could be used on the slider.

I wouldn't apply anything that's liquid at room temperature.

What does the manual say?

Phil Thien
01-25-2014, 9:50 AM
I'd rub the bars with paraffin wax, then buff them with an old t-shirt until they shine bright.

Bradley Gray
01-25-2014, 10:00 AM
+1 on paraffin

Paul Incognito
01-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I have the same saw. I had the same problem with the rails and was going to replace the bearings untill I saw how much they cost. I took mine apart and cleaned out the bearings and housings and it worked like new again. There was years worth of sawdust packed in there.
If you google the model number you'll find the exploded drawing that makes it pretty simple to take apart and more importantly, put it back together. For general maintenence I do like others suggest and use paraffin wax.
Hope this helps,
Paul

Dave Zellers
01-25-2014, 2:17 PM
Own it as well- I would hit the bars with 0000 steel wool first, then wax or maybe a teflon spray.

Larry Edgerton
01-25-2014, 6:30 PM
I have owned several since they first came out. No wax, it just makes for buildup on the bearings, and they do have bearings. Every once in a while pull off the plates, pop out the felt wipers and blow through the carriage with an air hose as you push the carrage back and forth. Wipe the slides down with steel wool and OIL. Its in the manual.

I have tried everything, and just plain oil works the best for the longest, and surprisingly causes the least buildup. Another trick I learned from Versatex is to spray the saw with anti-static guard if you are cutting plastics like Versatex or Azek. Keeps the dust from collecting on the slides.

Larry

Mikhail Lermontov
01-25-2014, 7:12 PM
Excellent, I have paraffin wax will try to apply it after taking the mechanism apart and cleaning.
I guess I have to find the manual in a PDF version and read it.
Thanks a lot or our suggestions. Will be back when I get some results.

John Downey
01-25-2014, 7:21 PM
I have owned several since they first came out. No wax, it just makes for buildup on the bearings, and they do have bearings. Every once in a while pull off the plates, pop out the felt wipers and blow through the carriage with an air hose as you push the carrage back and forth. Wipe the slides down with steel wool and OIL. Its in the manual.

I have tried everything, and just plain oil works the best for the longest, and surprisingly causes the least buildup. Another trick I learned from Versatex is to spray the saw with anti-static guard if you are cutting plastics like Versatex or Azek. Keeps the dust from collecting on the slides.

Larry

I do roughly the same to mine. Sometimes use PTFE dry lube if I have some. I got the saw pretty cheap at a used tool store because it was so rough to slide :D