PDA

View Full Version : Finally bit the bullet on a tracksaw

Michael Mayo
01-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Been reading up on track saws for over a year. Have really wanted one for breaking down sheet goods for quite a while. Been using an old Craftsman C saw forever and although it worked it was extremely messy, took a long time to setup the cuts, and left a less than desirable final finish. I really wanted to purchase the Green stuff but just didn't have the money to do that. I looked at the Grizzly/Sheppach option but the reviews just didn't give me the warm fuzzies. So I see the other day on another web forum discussing track saws that HD had a sale on the Makita with a 55' rail and storage box for $319.99. I checked on it but it was out of stock online. Then the next day I see someone say that it was back available for ordering again. I checked and sure enough they were taking orders again although the saw was back ordered they were accepting orders at the sale price. So I just bit the bullet and ordered it figuring I wouldn't see it that cheap again. I will need to get one more track section so I can rip full sheets but that isn't a big deal as I can wait to do that for a few weeks. Does anyone know if you get the track connectors when you purchase a section of track for the Makita SP 6000J? I am hoping this saw lives up to the good reviews I have read. For me it was the best solution in order to get a quality track saw and keep the wifey somewhat happy about it.

Earl Rumans
01-24-2014, 11:57 PM
I love my Makita and I'm sure you will find it a great saw. You don't get any track connectors with the kit, that's a separate accessory. Mine came without being extra boxed, just in the plastic case, although the track was boxed. You may want to consider the track clamps, I didn't get them initially but with the clamps I use it for cutting long boards also, not just for breaking down sheet goods. I don't find the lack of a riving knife any factor for a track saw and the power and smooth action is great. I really like the scoring feature, it makes getting a super clean cut very easy.

Michael Mayo
01-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks Earl you echo many of the other reviews that helped me decide to get this saw. I am pretty pumped up and hope it ships sooner than later but I can wait.

Peter Quinn
01-25-2014, 7:26 AM
Oh, today just might be the day I do this too!

Jim Matthews
01-25-2014, 8:17 AM
Eurekazone sells the Makita as their choice of saw for their system.
It's a good one.

Remember that the finish will only be as good as the blade.
I tape off both sides of plywood over the cut line, and score all the way around with a marking knife,
when I must avoid tearout (usually on the bottom).

I also lay sheet goods down on a piece of 2" thick styrofoam insulation board.
That helps a little, but the tape tames tear out best.

Robert Carruthers
01-25-2014, 10:46 AM
I like the Dewalt track clamps better than the Makita clamps and they work on the Makita tracks.

Michael Mayo
01-25-2014, 9:53 PM
I like the Dewalt track clamps better than the Makita clamps and they work on the Makita tracks.

thanks for the heads up Robert I will have to look into those once I have the saw.

Peter Quinn
01-26-2014, 1:22 PM
Yup.....finger got itchy, I pushed the button and bought one too. My shop is in a basement, I have a small kitchen coming up with melamine bases, I built a new exterior garage last year, the last time I carried #100 sheets down the stairs was the last time I wanted to! New Plan, build knock down sheet good table, back van up to garage, sheets slide out of van onto table, track saw breaks them at least in half, then its much easier to move them down into basement shop, or store them on pallets until I'm ready for assembly. Maybe they never go into basement, all fabrication happens on an MFT type shop made table? Any way you side it my back will thank me, and I thank you for pointing out this sale!

Dennis McDonaugh
01-26-2014, 9:18 PM
How can you extend the capacity of the guide to cut a 4X8 sheet of ply lengthwise?

Earl Rumans
01-26-2014, 10:41 PM
How can you extend the capacity of the guide to cut a 4X8 sheet of ply lengthwise?

Buy another section of track and the joining kit to make it 110 inches long.

Robert Carruthers
01-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Makita 118 inch track. I bought one a while ago and I forgot where. It was $150 shipped. It was half the price most charge and it came really well packaged.I didn't buy a connector and combine two 55 inch tracks because its too short to diagonally cut a 4x8 sheet(need a few inch a head of the sheet to align the saw). People say there is a small bump at the connectors on all three brands (Festool , Dewalt and Makita).

Matt Meiser
01-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Joining 2 tracks works but personally I think a dedicated long rail is a lot better investment.

Not sure if the Seneca Woodworking parallel guides for the Festool rails will fit but these are a great add-on. Maybe you could fabricate your own or modify them to fit.

Aaron Berk
01-26-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm itching for a new track saw, I've squeezed as much profit out of my $40 track saw (saw price included) as I can.

Good to hear another great Makita review

Jeff Erbele
01-27-2014, 5:05 AM
Buy another section of track and the joining kit to make it 110 inches long.

I've been thinking about a track saw too for some time. At one point I was going to bite the bullet and get a slider, until I visited a cabinet shop and saw the demanding foot-print. I decided although a TS is the prime machine in a wood shop I must allow space for other machines & operations. I'll buy a decent cabinet saw and a track saw will suffice for my hobby needs. In the recent past there was a thread comparing Festool and Makita. Although i could spend the money on a Festool, sheet material does not care what color the saw is, so I find it difficult to justify the premium price when basically they produce the same results. As the OP said, I don't know if the price will get any better.

Relating to the question of sawing sheets the long way, I discovered an alternate solution, a single 118" track for $245.88
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-118-in-Guide-Rail-194367-7/203297529

I think this is the correct track for the saw under discussion.

My concern and question with connecting two shorter tracks with a connector kit is alignment and thus accuracy regarding one continuous straight cut. Or is that not a concern?

Jeff Erbele
01-27-2014, 5:28 AM

Both brands are pictured hereL
http://www.homedepot.com/s/track%2520saw?NCNI-5

Is there anything special about them or would other wood clamps work just as well?

Harvey Miller
01-27-2014, 8:29 AM
For the Festool tracks there’s mixed results joining tracks- but Festool uses two conectors, looks like Makita uses four. The clamps slide into the T-track on the bottom of the guide, so they have to be wide enough to grab the lips of the track, but have a thin enough ’bar’ to fit & slide in the track. In Festool’s case the Makita clamps don’t fit (I had to grind the bar down) but the dewalt rapid clamps do.

Mike Bain
01-27-2014, 8:29 AM
Both brands are pictured hereL
http://www.homedepot.com/s/track%2520saw?NCNI-5

Is there anything special about them or would other wood clamps work just as well?

The clamps are attached under the rail so they are out of the saws way.
Mike

Dennis McDonaugh
01-27-2014, 8:45 AM
Yikes! Adding the long track drives up the price considerably.

Greg R Bradley
01-27-2014, 10:49 AM
You are unlikely to need any clamps as the tracks have gripping rubber on the bottom that grips wood very well. They even work fairly well on melamine unless you lay the track down on melamine covered with sawdust. If you use a vac triggered by the saw and foam under the plywood you won't have any dust there to worry about.

Makita uses two connectors almost identical to the Festool ones.

If you want to use only Makita tracks, a weak point is that they only have 2 sizes. You can do a huge amount of work with just one 55" track. I would suggest you start with that and wait to decide IF you need the 118". Think about the need to rip everything first. A track saw works well to start and end a cut in the middle of a board.

After you have the saw for a while, consider the need for a different length track. You may decide you want the 118" and you cut it into a 32" and 86". It will be harder to buy the 118" if you spend the money now on a second 55" and clamps.