PDA

View Full Version : Centering Router Base Plate

Matt Kestenbaum
01-24-2014, 5:32 PM
Here's the scenario: I am using a Bosch 1617 router to cut dados (sp. dadoes?) in a board that is too wide to do so on the TS. I have built a neat little adjustable jig and am planning to use a guide bushing and 3/8" carbide spiral bit with a 1/2" shaft (upcut).

The question: I don't have a centering cone or rod for the 1/2" collet, but I do have one for the 1/4" collet…as part of a whiteside inlay set. I am planning to put the 1/4" collet on the router, set it up with inlay bushing, center the bushing, then switch collets and bushings, and mount the 3/8" bit. Everything should still be centered right? That is…once the base plate is centered on the router changing collets and bushings shouldn't affect anything.

thanks in advance!

Joe Scharle
01-24-2014, 5:37 PM
Should be good until the next time you change sub bases.

Matt Kestenbaum
01-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks Joe! Always good to get a confirming opinion.

Jerry Miner
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
In case you need additional confirmation, Joe is right on here!

Jason White
02-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Pat Warner sells a centering bit on his website (www.patwarner.com). I have one and it works great!

Here's the scenario: I am using a Bosch 1617 router to cut dados (sp. dadoes?) in a board that is too wide to do so on the TS. I have built a neat little adjustable jig and am planning to use a guide bushing and 3/8" carbide spiral bit with a 1/2" shaft (upcut).

The question: I don't have a centering cone or rod for the 1/2" collet, but I do have one for the 1/4" collet…as part of a whiteside inlay set. I am planning to put the 1/4" collet on the router, set it up with inlay bushing, center the bushing, then switch collets and bushings, and mount the 3/8" bit. Everything should still be centered right? That is…once the base plate is centered on the router changing collets and bushings shouldn't affect anything.

thanks in advance!

Peter Quinn
02-05-2014, 8:55 AM
Bosch has a centering cone for that router that has 1/4" and 1/2" on the same device, but centering with either collet gets you to the same place. You can probably get pretty close with a chamfering bit in a pinch too.

John TenEyck
02-05-2014, 10:53 AM
I often use a countersink to align the base plate with the guide bushing already installed.

John

john bateman
02-05-2014, 4:27 PM
My experience has been that if I have to change the height after centering it, then it's no longer centered.
So be mindful of that when you switch the collet and bit.