PDA

View Full Version : Odd Corel X4 Problem

Jeff Belany
01-24-2014, 2:55 PM
Having an odd problem with Corel today. So odd I;m not sure I can explain it. Just FYI I've been using Corel since V3 and I've been a full time laser engraver since 1998 so I should know what I'm doing.

Here's what happens -- I have a file open -- Have a line of type with: 2007 and want to change it to 2010. Click on 2007, click on the text tool, cursor blinks after the '7'. I normally would backspace 2 spaces back and type '10', right? Well, when I backspace over the '07' the 07 stays (the cursor is between the zeros) -- then, if I wait a few seconds the text block forms around the '20' and the '07' become it's own text block -- all without me doing anything. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has seen this happen? Any clues? It's a new one on me. Have rebooted Corel and the computer. I have to say it doesn't do it 100% of the time but getting worse as far as I can tell.

Losing my mind --- certainly possible, at least that what it reals like right now. Hope one of you GURU's out there have an idea what this might be. Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Rudy Ress
01-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Could be a couple of things. First did you "group" any of it together first? If so ungroup and try again. Another thing to look at is to see if you are on the correct "layer". Was your original text on the Master layer and now you are trying to change something on another layer?

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-25-2014, 1:43 PM
When you select the text, does the Object Manager or Status Bar show the selected text as Artistic Text or Paragraph Text? Is the selected text on Layer 1 or Master Page or Guides? (Once again, this info will be listed in Object Manager or your Status Bar...)

Can you trade your keyboard out with another keyboard and see if that makes a difference? I have seen even stranger unrelated things happen when either a keyboard or mouse was starting to fail and wrecking havoc on software.

Jeff Belany
01-27-2014, 3:02 PM
I appreciate the input. Problem seemed to disappear just as it came. The suggestions as far as layers or grouping didn't apply. Didn't have a chance to swap keyboards but will keep that in mind if the problem comes back. All I can say is that I have never seen Corel act like this in all the years I have used it. When things change while you watch with no input, it's pretty odd. But, the keyboard does seem like a likely suspect with maybe a sticking key.

Thanks again,

Jeff in northern Wisconsin