PDA

View Full Version : Maui Wood Gloat

Paul Williams
01-24-2014, 2:00 PM
Received another box of wood from my cousin on Maui. This one contained KOA, Mango, Coconut, and Kolohala (Pheasant Wood). Hope I can do the wood justice. Most are 2" thick or a little more and exactly as long as a large flat rate box. The wood inspectors are my grandsons.

Paul Engle
01-24-2014, 3:31 PM
Pretty cool Paul ! I may start turning pens so I can use the smaller pieces I have left from segment work on the Koa I got .. Get them grand kids turning !!!

Paul Williams
01-24-2014, 4:00 PM
They both have made pens as gifts to teachers. The youngest only turns on my small metal lathe. I figure he is easier to control turning wheels than holding sharp tools.

I have been using small KOA disks as accent pieces in lids of boxes.

Paul Engle
01-26-2014, 11:37 AM
They both have made pens as gifts to teachers. The youngest only turns on my small metal lathe. I figure he is easier to control turning wheels than holding sharp tools.

I have been using small KOA disks as accent pieces in lids of boxes.

Please post your box work when you get a chance.

Paul Williams
01-26-2014, 5:54 PM
Paul, here is the only box photo that I happen to have right now. It is about 2" across. The body is walnut and the insert is a small disc of oak burl that I had left over from another turning. I am finishing a similar box to send to my cousin who provided the wood. The insert will be KOA and I used several small beads with the lid joint between two of the beads. These little boxes do seem to be a great way to showcase small pieces of highly figured wood,

Paul Engle
01-26-2014, 7:05 PM
Paul, here is the only box photo that I happen to have right now. It is about 2" across. The body is walnut and the insert is a small disc of oak burl that I had left over from another turning. I am finishing a similar box to send to my cousin who provided the wood. The insert will be KOA and I used several small beads with the lid joint between two of the beads. These little boxes do seem to be a great way to showcase small pieces of highly figured wood,

Great idea! I could do some ornamental work on the insert prior to gluing and my supply of Koa will go further. Plus , one could do a segmented insert . I like the modern sleek look and a series of multiple sizes would be a good exercise in proportions.